in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Distance Schooling (w/onsite required) with 2 small children?

Last post 10-04-2009 2:58 PM by cbecarol. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2009 9:34 PM

Distance Schooling (w/onsite required) with 2 small children?

I am investigating attending Seattle Midwifery School in the Fall of 2011. At this time I'd have a 1 year old and a 3.5 year old. I live in Los Angeles but the Seattle program is set up to be a distance learning program where the schedule goes as follows:

Yr 1 = 1 week/mo in Seattle
    Yr 2 = 3-4 days/mo in Seattle
    Yr 3 = 0-2 days/mo in Seattle

I've spoken with the admissions counselor and she informed me that those who attend and have small children have expressed that they couldn't do it without an extensive support network (usually family). We have no one. Like seriously just me and my husband. We'd have to hire any support network. I mentioned this in passing to the admissions counselor and she said, "Well then you may consider a live-in nanny" which didn't even occur to me as a necessity. That's an expense, above and beyond travel/lodging/etc, that I haven't even factored into this whole thing. We have the finances but ... obviously would rather not have to spend it if it wasn't necessary.

I have no idea what to expect from the schooling. What they've told me is - "Its INTENSE" - okay fantastic but what does that MEAN?!

My husband is willing to move to Seattle for school if that's necessary but, being as though we've moved a ridiculous amount in the past 3 years, it would be preferable not to if it wasn't necessary.

I'm looking for input, thoughts, harsh reality checks, etc. Be brutally honest if you need to.

• 09-30-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

Re: Distance Schooling (w/onsite required) with 2 small children?

I am doing distance learning (without on site), but I do apprentice with a midwife two hours away.  Because of all the driving, any prenatal day is at a bare minimum 5.5 hours long but most are closer to 12 hours long.  I tend to be gone at appts two days a week plus births.

It IS hard, and I really could not do this without my supportive husband and my mom who fills in for hubby when he is at work.  If my mom wasn't so helpful, I would probably need 2-4 babysitters lined up at any given time and a LOT of money to pay them... or a nanny.

It takes balance... and I have to be sure I invest plenty of energy into my family when I am at home because I do not want them to resent the time I spend with birthing mothers.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 10-04-2009 2:58 PM In reply to

Re: Distance Schooling (w/onsite required) with 2 small children?

Hi.

I know I am a little late responding to this thread... but you may want to check out the University of Pheonix.  I am fairly certain that they have a distance learning RN program for international students.

Carol
    childbirth educator, Hypnobabies instructor, and doula PLUS an aspiring midwife and mom.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.