in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

IUD's and Menstrual Cups

Last post 09-28-2009 12:39 AM by worstfriend. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2009 6:54 AM

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

IUD's and Menstrual Cups

Hello wise women!

I've been using my Diva Cup for a while now and really like it!  I just received my Paraguard 1 week ago, and AF is due anytime now.  Can I still use my cup?  I've read conflicting info. on the web.  

For example the Diva Cup is NOT recommended for use with and IUD, but the Moon Cup says it's okay?  Is it an actual difference in design, or is it a liability issue with Diva Cup?  Maybe I could switch to the Moon Cup instead :)  (I do have cloth pads, but my flow is HEAVY and I love the convenience of the cup... I don't want to choose IUD or CUP! Wink)

I guess I'd like to know of anyone's personal experience or any guidance you give to your mama's regarding the actual or theoretical risks/complications.

Thank you!!

P.S.  does it matter that my cervix is extremely far back?

Mandi
  • 09-26-2009 9:55 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: IUD's and Menstrual Cups

Aloha Mandi,

I have had several mamas with IUD's who also use a cup, (not sure which cup they used though).   I have had an IUD in for more years than I care to admit now, and it's not coming out till I am done with menopause, but, I use sea sponges.  Have never had a problem with those and my IUD and I know in Central America where I lived the IUD was the BC choice for most of the population after children and I never heard of any contraindication for the device and a menstrual cup or tampon.  You may want to really pay attention these first cycles and make sure no dislodgement occurs.  Usually once it's in, it's in.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 09-26-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

Hi,

I had a Mirena between December 2006 and May 2009 and i owned a diva-cup already.  I did use it, but i was always a bit worried because the mirena info said to be careful when using cups.  After about 4 cycles i had much lighter periods anyway (one of the effects of the Mirena) so i stopped using it altogether.  When i did use it i was careful to make sure i'd broken the suction before pulling the cup out, by easing it down slowly and then using a finger to push the vaginal wall away and tilting the cup slightly to let some air get in over the lip.

I wouldn't use the Mirena again, but i will definitely be using the paraguard IUD (i suspect my 2 recent miscarriages were related to lasting action of the Mirena thinning the endometrial layer and would rather not go there again) so i am interested to hear experiences.  As midwifea said, i have heard that if it stays in through 2 periods it's well placed and in for good.

April out of interest - i read the paraguard has to be changed every 10 years - is that correct?  I too will be looking to use one for long-term contraception one day (between child #3 or #4 should we be so blessed, and menopause).  Is it possible to just keep them in beyond the decade mark

Bec

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 09-26-2009 3:18 PM In reply to

I was interested in hearing that you thought the mirena may have been related to your miscarriage.  I thought it was related to the opposite.  I had a lady who conceived twins just after having her mirena removed.  Her last period was the one in which I removed her mirena. I'd read that the mirena can cause this because ovulation has been supressed for so long during the extra progesterone from the mirena, that just after removal, the drop in progesterone causes an increased risk of twinning due to the extra stimulation of the ovaries. Evidently with her, the progesterone didn't do anything to the lining of her uterus because she had her twins at term and they were both a healthy size.  I also prescribe progesterone for women with recurrent miscarriage and have been enormously successful in helping prevent miscarriage.  One lady with 7 miscarriages finally had a baby with prometrium.  How is it you think progesterone causes miscarriage?  Joyce

• 09-27-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Bec,

I have had mine (copper T) in for 13 years now.  I am 52 and still bleed every month so I am not risking a menopause baby.  The IUD has been fabulous.  I had a friend, midwife, who went to the grave with hers it had been in place for at least 20 years when she passed.  It never bothered her, she couldn't find her strings anymore and she never felt the need to take it out.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 09-27-2009 1:49 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Thanks for the wisdom as always!

That was kind of my first reaction too; that like anything else involving your yoni... be care-filled Big Smile  (not careful... that makes it sound like you might need a hardhat to work in the area !!)

Thanks for letting me problem-solve "out loud"...so-to-speak... -er... ummm... I guess it's just one of those silly days!  Is that a side effect of an IUD?!! Surprise

Enjoy the peacefulness of the incoming fall!

Mandi
  • 09-28-2009 12:39 AM In reply to

Joyce the progestin in Mirena supresses the growth of the uterine lining and sometimes also ovulation.  This is why many women have no cycles when it is fitted, though most, when you ask them to think closely about it for a cycle or two, can identify when their period would have been there from PMT-like periods followed by light cramping.  I believe my lining continued to be thin after removal, causing my 2 pregnancies to fail to implant well enough to be sustained.  18 days on aspirin and RLT seems to have helped a whole lot.

Plan B is made of levonorgestrel.  It disrupts the body's natural progesterone production by stimulating the body's progesterone receptors and telling it that there is plenty about - this makes the body think it has already ovulated and must not bleed.  In Plan B this delays ovulation to prevent pregnancy.  In other long-term contraceptives it effectively puts your body into the state it would be at in the middle of the luteal phase - it is sustaining the endometrial lining (butNOT building it, estrogen builds, progesterone sustains) and not ovulating perpetually until you have it removed.  If you take it when you're pregnant it protects and supports the pregnancy.  If you take it before you get pregnant it inhibits ovulation and the growth of the endometrial layer because it disrupts the natural oestrongenic period of the cycle when these things are usually happening.

This really makes sense to me because my second pregnancy i lost at around 7 weeks.  I had spotting from 5 weeks, and it was very obvious to me that a) my hcg was extremely low throughout, and b) my body was doing it's damndest to hang on to the pregnancy despite very low hcg - to me this makes sense as i believe the still-high progesterone levels both made my lining inadequate for good implantation to occur AND helped me maintain the pregnancy despite this poor implantation.  Given how the tissues of the pregnancy looked when i passed them i would say without the residual mirena progesterones i would probably have lost that pregnancy at 5 weeks, if i even made it that far.  I also bled less during that miscarriage than i used to at a normal AF.

So it's not that i think progesterone causes miscarriage, but that i know that having too much of it in the first half of the cycle can have a disruptive effect on normal fertility mechanisms which can then lead to miscarriage.  And it's funny you should mention twins because this current pregnancy is giving incredibly dark lines on the test sticks, much darker than i ever had with DD, and i am wondering how many are in there too!

Bec

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.