in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Conflicting Thoughts: Becoming a Midwife

Last post 09-21-2009 11:32 AM by mybodymyself. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-20-2009 5:54 PM

• tammu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-21-2009
    • Posts 1

Conflicting Thoughts: Becoming a Midwife

I am 22 and just graduated with a liberal arts degree from a large university.  A friend of mine became pregnant a while back, and now I can't stop thinking about midwifery.  I have been looking at CNM programs that have a direct entry option as well as looking around at other options.  I would love to be a midwife but I also want to be a professor.  What are your thoughts on starting midwifery training now as opposed to later?  Is the Beginning Midwives Package really my best bet in exploring my options or would I be better off starting with a Doula program?   Lastly, are there good websites to look for training options overseas?  Many Thanks!

• 09-21-2009 11:32 AM In reply to

Re: Conflicting Thoughts: Becoming a Midwife

tammu,

Welcome to MT and MTF.  Its pleasure to meet you and hope to stay you around. Congrats on graduating from college and etc.  Have to say that I'm in the same boat as you are in expect college part.  Have no clue and really have not that much info on this.  At the same time have no desire to pursue the path of becoming an doula or midwife because everything that it invovles.  Even though it would be nice and etc in the long run.  On the another hand have seen this topic for an threads in the past, but at the same time have forgotten what were my responses to them.

Highly recommend that you check out MT.  Also Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and their companion website/blog as well.  Found its really helpful no matter what. At same time do recommend that you do additional learning and research besides the books and website I give you to give you. For more info on this.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck and etc.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.