in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

RN to CNM in Texas

Last post 08-09-2009 2:49 PM by Toni. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2009 8:52 AM

RN to CNM in Texas

I am an RN and I would love to become a CNM.  I have been applying to L&D internships in order to get the experience I need to start the midwifery program but there are very few openings.  Is there any other way I can gain experience?

• 08-09-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

• Toni
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-09-2009
    • Posts 1

Re: RN to CNM in Texas

Hey Joley - it's Toni.  Just wanted to tell you about a conversation I had with a CNM at my job, who is now a lactation consultant.  When I met her, I was asking all sorts of questions about becoming and being a CNM and she told me in no uncertain terms, to SAVE MY TIME and just go through one of the lay midwife courses.  She told me that the hospital is no place for a midwife, AND I was told by my women's services educator that I should NEVER tell a hiring manager that I want to be a midwife.  She said that hospital L&D units don't want nurses who have their own ideas about how to labor & deliver women - they want a nurse that will do what the doctor says - NO questions asked.  This might be why we didn't get hired for L&D!  Therefore, my new plan is to get my BSN and find an online curriculum to become a lay midwife & possibly get a job in a birthing center and/or keep trying to get into a L&D internship in the hospital.

Just thought you might want to know what I've been told.  Good luck!

Toni

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.