in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Green vaginal discharge- toddler

Last post 07-03-2009 7:20 AM by Brlnbabies. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2009 10:46 AM

Green vaginal discharge- toddler

My daughter is 25months and has a green vaginal discharge. I noticed it about a week ago when there was a green streak in her otherwise dry/clean diaper. At that time she had two bleeding sores near her clitoris which healed practically overnight after cleaning the area with witch-hazel pads and applying lanolin. 

Yesterday I noticed the green again when I changed her diaper. This time she has no external sores or redness just a green ooze coming from her vagina. I'm assuming it's not from her urethra because she doesn't say anything hurts when she pees (and I've asked).

She stopped using diapers last December and has been using the potty really well (only wet in her undies occasionally). However, she found a new favorite place to put her hands and has had a lot of redness because she fondles her genitals while going to sleep (doesn't do it any other time). I have done what I could to keep her hands clean but the redness persists (she's kind of rough with herself). Not to mention her nose is always runny because of allergies so I'm sure her hands go from mouth to genitals and back quite a bit.

She started wetting and messing her undies in May when we began the adoption process with our son who is 22months and in diapers. We expected this and since she asked to wear diapers we let her. Once she started wearing a diaper at night again the fondling stopped and she hasn't had any redness until last week when I noticed the oozing and sores (which must have happened quickly because I change her diaper twice a day...she still takes it off by herself to use the potty...she won't poo in her diaper).

Anyway, I'm wondering what I can do about it. It doesn't appear to be bothering her but it's also not normal. I'm not opposed to doing nothing and giving it some time but if there's something noninvasive I can do to encourage the process along that'd be great tooSmile

Thanks for any advice!

• 06-18-2009 7:10 AM In reply to

Re: Green vaginal discharge- toddler

You may want to take her in to see her doc/nurse practitioner/health care provider.  It could be an overgrowth situation but it could actually be a true infection which needs to be addressed with some meds or remedies.  It can be addressed and cleared up non-invasively with a cream or with an oral medication/remedy. If she's injured herself or accidentally caused an infection (got poo up in there or into her urethra), it could be that she's actually not masturbating but itching/scratching or trying to relieve her symptoms.  It's certainly worth having someone take a look and again, it's usually done non-invasively.  Sometimes they need to take a swab but that's done at the introitus and with a Q-tip--touch, wipe and go. It's quick. It's not like a vaginal exam and anyone who works with toddlers knows how to do it without trauma, they don't have to strap down the child or have mom hold the kid, you can be present, etc. It does seem like it's bothering her.  Kids sometimes reveal how things are bothering them in different ways than an adult.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-20-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

Thank you so much...I'll be calling her pediatrician Monday. Smile

• 06-24-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

You know I just got to thinking:  Do you think she could've stuck something in there?  Even though there's a hymen, it wouldn't be impossible for her to get something stuck and the hymen gone from a trike mishap, etc.  More common around 5+ years, but not unheard of in a younger young'un. Hmm

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-29-2009 9:37 AM In reply to

update?

Susan

• 07-02-2009 8:51 AM In reply to

Thanks for requesting an update!

***blush*** I actually didn't end up calling because Devin was placed with us that weekend and he woke up Monday with a fever (lasted three days and involved throwing up; still has residual diarrhea)...we also had baseball tournaments all weekend and I was absolutely wiped out.

I'm holding off on taking her in because she hasn't had the discharge lately and there's no redness. So I'm taking the watchful waiting approach for now. Oddly it seemed to clear up the same time her green runny nose stopped...not sure if there was a connection or just coincidence.

Thanks again!!

Love, Kelly

• 07-03-2009 7:20 AM In reply to

I know grown men with the same problem! Stick out tongueSurprise

Susan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.