in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

US TV Homebirth Show TONIGHT June 16

Last post 06-25-2009 12:07 PM by prov31jd. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-16-2009 10:43 AM

US TV Homebirth Show TONIGHT June 16

I do believe this is our very own "midwifea" who will be featured on tonight's show, is it not?  How exciting is this?  I'm so happy for a tight Kegel muscle or I might just wet my pants!!  Remember this is the Discovery Health channel and not just the plain ol' Discovery channel. Jessica A. Bruno, check out the JERSEY COUPLE!!

Here's the skinny:

We are excited to announce the premiere of Births Beyond Belief, a reality program which airs on Discovery Health June 16th at 7pm CST. The show, created and produced by Video Arts, explores the ups and downs of homebirth by following three separate mothers in Hawaii, Los Angeles, and New Jersey. Rarely is homebirth highlighted on such a large stage in mass media like Discovery Health, which is broadcast in over 68 million households. Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher's full time chef, Grace GlennAnthony, pursued a home birth with their support. The Video Arts crew documented Grace working in the celebrities' Beverly Hills home. Grace's baby was in the breech position making homebirth an illegal option according to California law. She was forced to choose between sacrificing her dream birth and breaking the law. Hawaii couple, Jason and Kollette Stith, gave birth on their organic coffee bean farm deep in the mountains in a Mongolian tent known as a yurt. The delivery was complicated by the fact that their remote location is only accessible by four-wheel drive vehicles and does not have running water or electricity. A New Jersey couple, Soyini and Esu Ma'at, were expecting their second child. The Video Arts crew documented Soyini in a temple in Brooklyn using sacred Egyptian meditations to prepare for birth. The birth took a dramatic turn when Soyini requested to move from the floor of her bedroom to a birthing tub to deliver after the baby's head had crowned. Don't miss this engaging documentary produced right here in Fargo, ND by Video Arts Studios on Tuesday, June 16th at 8pm (EST/PST), 7pm (CST).

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-16-2009 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: US TV Homebirth Show TONIGHT June 16

Susan,

Thanx for the heads up on this.  At the same time don't have Discovery channel because we have cable and the provider doesn't have that channel in its package.  Its has all the others, but this one.  Have contracted them, but no luck.

• 06-16-2009 8:26 PM In reply to

I watched it...it was good!  Too bad she missed the birth, but it happens! :P 

Was intrigued by the breech delivery, as well.

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 06-17-2009 12:23 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Thanks for the plug, Susan. I did try to make that birth! We did a lot of reenacting after the fact because I was flying to get there. Mama had braxton hick type contractions q15 min. during the day and then went into active labor and had the baby in less than an hour.  I live an hour away so, c'est la vie.

I am glad I am a midwife and not an actress.

Baby Asa is now 6 months old.

TLC is supposedly interested in doing a series from this show.  I may need some birthing mama's who want to be on TV!

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-17-2009 7:16 AM In reply to

Oh how neat: a reality show I'd actually watch!!  I haven't seen the show that was on last night because I had to teach and then I found out that my VCR doesn't tape channels beyond 69 ... and DHC is on my 301.  So my friend TiVo'd it and I'll watch it with popcorn at her house ... surrounded by 6 (rescued) pugs.  This should be very interesting.  I was hoping that it would run all night in a loop with the other (horrible) birth shows but I couldn't keep my eyes open past 11:30.  I suffered through the I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant episode followed by Deliver Me.  I'm surprised I didn't barf.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-17-2009 10:56 PM In reply to

I'm also glad to be a midwife not an actress! One of the births I attended was filmed for a DVD for parents to be, was supposed to be a lovely birth centre birth, no drips, no monitors, in the pool...  Instead, prolonged rupture of membranes, 36 hours of good strong labour and no progress past 5 cm, so a LSCS in the end!  And the editing of it made it look like she spent all her time in bed, where as she had been very mobile for most of her labour, and we tried every trick i knew.  Ah well, TV land...

i hope we get this down here, but we ony get standard discovery, that dreadful 'labour ward', i think it's called.  Hubby doesn't like me watching it cos I shout at the tv to much apparantly!!

• 06-17-2009 10:56 PM In reply to

OOps, computer issues... as you wereEmbarrassed

• 06-18-2009 7:22 AM In reply to

My 17-yr-old was watching one of those "baby story" things on TV the other day at her boyfriend's house and he had to change the channel because my daughter was yelling at his family's TV too much!  I raised that young 'un right!!!!!

Susan

• 06-18-2009 9:35 PM In reply to

I can only watch the birth chronicles[as the stomach churns] when my husband is not home!  I rant and rave and talk to the dog about how stupid this all is.  I think it is a form of self torture ,a type of amends for all the naughty things I did in my younger life.  Sorry I missed the show,maybe they will have repeats  Claudia

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 06-19-2009 6:56 AM In reply to

I've never heard of that show, but it may be on other cable or satellite stations. Anybody?

Susan

• 06-19-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

I wish we got that...I'll have to look it up...DH has banned me from watching Baby Story and all those like it...seems I get a bit too irate!  :P

• 06-19-2009 2:10 PM In reply to

I missed this showing!  Sad

Does anyone know if they plan to air it again? 

• 06-19-2009 2:15 PM In reply to

I know that they're doing baby shows all this week starting around 7 or 8, so you may be able to catch it again.  Sometimes they run those specials several times.

Susan

• 06-19-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

I *think* it's going to be on again tomorrow (June 20th) at 10 am.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.