in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Wise words re:- Vit k??

Last post 07-29-2009 9:27 AM by midwifea. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2009 9:32 AM

Wise words re:- Vit k??

Hi ladies, im new here and am seeking some words of wisdom from you all....Im a midwife/doula in SA.....could anyone share their protocol re vit k with me....as it stands at the moment, we advise NOT to administer if babe has delayed cord clamping, breastfed and vernix left intact......but advise to give of birth was traumatic (forceps/caesar)...there seems to be so much conflicting info out there, was just wondering what you guys do? Many thanks for the advise..

Ann

• 06-07-2009 10:44 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Wise words re:- Vit k??

Ann,

Does S.A stand for South America?  If so, where?

Are you doing homebirths?

Back to your post;  Personally, I am only doing homebirths, I carry oral vit K, (botanical base) and offer parents information regarding the vit K issue prenatally so they can make an informed choice at birth.  At birth, I offer it, but don't recommend it if all has gone smoothly.  If mama has had a hard or prolonged pushing phase, baby has some unusual caput or bruising on the head or was malpositioned in some way then I recommend.  Breastfeeding, delayed cord clamping, vernix melting are all part of the birth at home anyway.  I feel I am somewhat representative of my peers who practice near me.  Does that help?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-08-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

:) South Africa...we do home births and active hospital births.. (do prefer the home ones though :) although we are lucky enough that in one hospital we have carte blanche to "manage "" the birth free of protocl and restrictions...so we try turn them very much into a home birth (as much as one can in a hospital setting....

Yep we do the same, discuss prenatally and give according to how the birth goes.....am relieved to hear that you and peers have a similar policy, seems so many conflicting opinions even amoungst homebirth midwives....what dosage and frequenct to you recommend..am trying hard to convince team members to switch to the oral vit K, instead of the IM dose..my understanding is that you give the IM dose at birth, day 3 and day 7/10...what about the correlation between high vit K and increase in childhood leukemias....does that only apply to the IM dose?? So appreciate the advice...

• 06-08-2009 11:51 PM In reply to

the mother can increase her dietary vit k levels before the birth. alfalfa is a great source, i recommend mothers eat it in late pg. for normal home births, i don't see any reason to administer it without indications (like bruising).

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 06-12-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

I also inform parents and let them decide. Most opt not to do the shot.

I keep thinking that Mother Nature did not make a huge mistake by having babies born with low vitamin K. There is a reason but we don't know it yet. Perhaps it makes reabsorbing the blood from birth bruising easier? Assists circulation somehow? How does this work in animals?

Filed under: , ,
  • 06-12-2009 8:15 PM In reply to

Well, since we're born hypocoagulant with low vit K because Vit K helps us clot/coagulate, isn't the reason so that we don't clot on the way out or if we've been in the oven longer than average?  My daughter's pediatrician said we're hypocoagulant because otherwise when the heart changes over from fetal to newborn circulation, we'd have a problem, possibly throwing a clot. ?? Did I remember and understand that correctly?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-13-2009 9:38 AM In reply to

mmmmm thats a bloody good point, hadnt thought of that!!!! makes perfect sense, think protocol for ECMO or heart lung bypass during surgery....thanks for that

• 06-13-2009 11:01 PM In reply to

If we need to give vit k,why are we born with a low vit k?  Just because someone found out babies tend to have low levels doesn't mean we need to "fix it"  Isn't that one of the reasons that circ. and naming was in the old testament delayed till the 8th day? 

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 07-08-2009 8:39 PM In reply to

I find it hard to believe the in the magnificent design of our bodies, God "forgot" to put the clotting factor in. If we are born hypocoagulent there is a reason, whether or not we understand it. I trust God's great design. I do recommend it if they have had a breech or particularly traumatic birth, and their diet was low in Vit K sources.

• 07-19-2009 8:46 PM In reply to

Can someone point me to the research on the efficacy of oral vitamin K?

Thanks!

Lesley Nelson, Warrior who prefers to move in open space in search of mysteries.
  • 07-23-2009 2:44 PM In reply to

"Well, since we're born hypocoagulant with low vit K because Vit K helps us clot/coagulate, isn't the reason so that we don't clot on the way out or if we've been in the oven longer than average?  My daughter's pediatrician said we're hypocoagulant because otherwise when the heart changes over from fetal to newborn circulation, we'd have a problem, possibly throwing a clot. ?? Did I remember and understand that correctly?"

Thank you so much for posting that.  It has always been my suspicion that the lack of Vit K at birth MUST have something to do with the ductous arteriosus and the shift from fetal to newborn circulation.

One very important aspect to think about is that he whole phenomenon of 'unexplained bleeding' happened at the height of medically managed birth (i.e. traumatic).    

• 07-29-2009 1:46 AM In reply to

Sara Wickham has written more on the subject.

If you have a dig around on her website: http://www.withwoman.co.uk/  its somewhere on there I'm sure.

In the UK its parental choice wither IM or orally 3 x doses.  A good friend of mine made a good point re: oral... it tastes bloody horrible and she decided on IM as didn't want to have that be babies first taste sensation.  Although one could leave it altogether if there is any danger of heamorrhage - caput/ chignon after instrumental etc - it is usually recommended.

(PS. I'm South African, was a doula before embarking on midiwfery training.  Just in the last 3 months of training in UK... would be interested to hear more about your practice).

Cor

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.