in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

New from New Mexico

Last post 07-30-2009 12:12 PM by journyingonthepath. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2009 9:45 PM

New from New Mexico

Hi, My name is Pam.  I live in Grants(89 miles west of albuquerque and 60 miles east of Gallup; on I-40).  I'm new to the community but have been getting MT's E-news for about two years.  I decided to become a Midwife about four years ago. I want to have my own clinic some day so, I'm going to get a BSN at NMSU-Grants....Should be graduating in three years.  After that, I'm going to look for a CNM program.  While I want to practice somewhat traditionally; I realize leagal issues make it difficult.  I had a very empowering birth at a free standing midwifery clinic in Wasilla, Alaska, in 2001.  My son, Duncan, is now almost eight.  I feel that experience helped shape my desire and God placed the call on my life.  I'm looking forward to chating with all of you.

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 05-31-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

Re: New from New Mexico

Pam,

Welcome to MTF and I'm so glad to meet you.  Thats great to read about your empowering birth experience with your son Duncan.  Hope to get to know more after.

• 06-14-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

Thank you Jessica.  Sorry not to reply right away!  I look forward to chatting with you here.

• 06-14-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

Its alright

• 07-28-2009 1:38 PM In reply to

Greetings Pam!  I just started at UNM's Nurse Midwifery program.  This first semester is predominately nursy stuff, so no baby catching yet.  it is considered to be one of the best programs in the nation, so if you're already in state just down the road keep it in mind for your training! A number of the faculty are proponents for homebirth (or practiced as homebirth midwives) and there is some great midwifery care research going on here as well. Out of all of the CNM programs that are out there, I decided to choose this one because of its more alternative lens re: birthing. I will keep you posted.  We are almost done with our first semester!  Yahoo!

Rebekah

• 07-30-2009 12:12 PM In reply to

Rebekah,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad to hear that UNM has a strong program with a bit of traditional feel.  I figured I would probably go there if still in NM.  It looks like I will need to work for a while after getting the BSN but, I only want to do that as long as I have to( to pay off any "loan for service" I take out).  What length is your semester?  Standard or longer?  Does the summer count as part of a semester?  I am definitely interested in hearing more about the program and your progress.

I wish you the best and look forward to chatting with you,

Pam

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.