in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Pumping while at a birth?

Last post 05-21-2009 7:12 PM by Doula Mary. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2009 10:18 AM

Pumping while at a birth?

My DD still nurses round the clock and I'm starting to get clients again.  Last night I was at a prenatal for 3 hours (one hr drive each way, 1 hr prenatal) and my boobies were about to burst.  I suddenly realized that unlike my partner, whose son only nurses once or twice a day, that I won't be able to go a whole birth without pumping.  I've no idea how to make that work.  Where would I pump?  What would my clients do while I'm pumping?  Anyone do this and have some tips?

Em, Momma to Adelh
    Doula and CNM in the making
  • 05-21-2009 7:12 PM In reply to

Re: Pumping while at a birth?

Somehow it works.....obviously it depends on the mom and the labor....I always seemed to make it work though.

Two hospitals I worked at, they let me use the pumping room, which was great and empty in the night... (Nice comfy chair, music and tv)....one hospital let me pump in a empty labor room.

I have a very vivid memory of "feeling" my breasts in the middle of the night to check on fullness in front of a dad ( whooppss), I had to explain myself and assure him..he would be seeing his partner doing the same thing.

Embarrassed

Mary

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.