in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

full moon gathering

Last post 05-21-2009 6:57 PM by Doula Mary. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-14-2009 10:51 AM

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

full moon gathering

Since the boards have been relatively quiet lately I thought Id share this story.

Last Friday night about 10 women, including myself, gathered together for some much needed community. We were of all ages from mid 20's to almost 60. Most of us knew each other. I had been midwife to 5 of the women, one woman is a clairvoyant, another a yogi master, one mama is my apprentice now and one mama a former apprentice, all of us healers in some way, all of of us seekers and mothers.  We gathered at an ocean front house around 5pm bringing food and planning to spend the night.  No men or children were visible.  I have been to many full moon ceremonies, but this one was different.  We had intention to heal ourselves and offer healing to the planet but for the most part it was about gathering with the intention of help for healing for anyone who needed it.  I came to find out during the evening that it was mostly for myself and my struggle with my marriage right now.  These guys gathered with the intent of giving back to me with out making it all about me.  How sweet they are.

We ate the most delicious food.  Salads and homemade bread and sushi and goat cheese and nuts and fruits and flowers and tarts.  Women should always cook for other women because the food is filled with so much love and pride...

We gathered, ate and talked outside on the lanai as the sun went down on the ocean.  We caught up on what had been happening in each of our lives.    Several women had brought big baskets of flowers so we arranged ourselves and made leis while we talked.  When the moon had risen we went out to the beach and formed a circle.  In the center of the circle were candles and flowers and ten spokes of strings of plumeria flowers.  We held hands for the opening and then sat down and passed the haku lei (a flower headband) around.  When your turn to wear the lei, you were given the time to speak about what ever you felt needed to be said and the theme was gratitude but it veered off, for sure.  We spoke and listened to each other for hours under the bright full moon.  Lots of tears spilled, mostly from me.  It was intense.  Women can solve the problems of the world if we only were asked to do so.  As we grew quieter and were winding down the last woman to speak finished with 'lets get naked' and burn twigs to signify the burning of our burdens.  Those that wanted to, got naked.  We burned a lot of twigs.  (I'll get naked at night on a beach and burn my burdens with the full moon shining down any day!)

Finally, we formed a circle, waist deep in the ocean under a beautiful moon and sang songs, chanted Hawaiian prayers and once again went round the circle voicing one thing we love about ourselves.  It was spectacular.  When the circle finished with me being the last to speak, all I could say was, I love my yoni.  My yoni connects me to all other women, it brought out my children it gives me intense pleasure, godlike pleasure.  It connects me to this board.  I give thanks for all the yonis' i know.

Then we broke up and went inside and the younger gals played cards and drank wine and smoked some herb and us older women solved the problems of our relationships with intense talk and honesty.

I have remembered from this talk that it is never about the other person.  It is about ourself.  It all comes down to our self. Our responses to life's challenges need to come from love and  forgiveness of self.  Others, just mirror back what we need to remember, what we have already asked them to give to us so our true self can respond with love.

Ah, it was a great and powerfull night and I wish the same for all my sisters here on this board..

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 05-14-2009 12:55 PM In reply to

Re: full moon gathering

Wow.  Thanks for sharing.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-14-2009 6:12 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Perfect

Mandi
  • 05-14-2009 6:58 PM In reply to

April,

Thanx for sharing for this with us.  Now, I really want to move to Hawaii or at least go there to experience this.  Basically, it sounds right up my ally.  By the way I posted my response on my twitter page as well.

• 05-18-2009 7:22 PM In reply to

That's awesome... I've done this kind of thing before... years ago, a friend of mine and I used to host moon parties on the full moons for women in our area, at her house. We'd have a potluck dinner, sing, howl at the moon, do ceremony... it was awesome.

That was years ago.

The most wonderful thing about these kinds of things is that it's doable anywhere, because Grandmother Moon shines everywhere.

Whether we are in park in the city or a field in the country, near the beach or in the mountains, on the plains, in the desert or near the flowing river... wherever we are, moonlight can touch us all.

J.

• 05-19-2009 8:44 PM In reply to

April, 

Thanks so much for sharing, as usual...you capture the moment so nicely with your words!

You are so lucky to have a community of women who are willing and able to be a part of the sweetness of that evening with you...you are very blessed....

Sounds like a wonderful and healing evening...a time to honor women/yoni's and reonnect. Very primal but important...something that is missing in most of our culture.

I'd like to get naked too. Cool

NICE!

Blessings.

Mary

• 05-19-2009 9:37 PM In reply to

April,that is so inspiring!  My children and grands[as many as can]gather for the summer solstice.  We sing,have a fire,eat good foods,have a little wine,laugh!  My kids start telling stories about the things they did that I M glad I didn't know about back then.  That whole week we just hang out.  It is so healing not to worry about anything.  If it isn't raining,it's dry,I don't want to know anything about the problems of the world  If I see the mushrrom shaped cloud,I will be in the place I want to be!!  A month from now,can hardly wait.  Blessings to all my forum friends.  Claudia

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 05-21-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Thanks guys, it was empowering and powerful and I am already looking forward to another one later in the year.  But first, as Claudia says, it almost solstice!!

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein