Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

US Citizen Wanting to Study Midwifery in the UK before Returning Home

Last post 05-13-2009 8:26 AM by Sibr. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2009 2:13 PM

    US Citizen Wanting to Study Midwifery in the UK before Returning Home

     Hi All,

    I am a new member and a relatively new mother! The whole experience has convinced me that I want to become a midwife.

    I am from the US but am currently living in the UK, my husband's job has brought us here for the last 3 years. We intend to stay for another 4-5 years and I would desparately like to use this time to gain my degree in midwifery. I am however finding it difficult to find information on how (or if) UK qualifications are credited in the states. I would hate to complete a degree course just to find it is useless at home. If there is anyone who has any information that could help me in making an informed decision I would really appreciate it.

    Thanks so much,


  • 05-13-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

    • Sibr
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-13-2009
    • Ireland
    • Posts 9

    Re: US Citizen Wanting to Study Midwifery in the UK before Returning Home


    I'm an American living in the EU who trained as a midwife here. I try to keep up to date with my options for practicing in the States, should we ever find ourselves moving back there. The situation is as follows:

    As you probably know, the practice of midwifery is not nationally regulated in the US. Different states require various statuses for practicing in different settings. Your options for utilizing your UK qualification are a little bit less complicated...

    • In states that do not regulate the practice of midwifery you can simply apply the knowledge and skills you will have developed through pursuing the degree.
    • As a UK-registered midwife, you would be eligible to sit the NARM (North American Registry of Midwives) exam to earn the qualification of CPM (certified professional midwife). This exam is currently given only in the US.
    • There is no reciprocity between your UK qualification and the ACNM (American College of Nurse Midwives) qualifications of CM (certified midwife) and CNM (certified nurse midwife).

    The websites below provide details. Best wishes with your journey! (see last option) (click on second to last question for PDF document)

    Mama to George Bailey (3 Dec 2008)
    It's a Wonderful Life!
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.