in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

TTC in 2009...

Last post 01-08-2010 2:35 AM by worstfriend. 141 replies.
Page 5 of 10 (142 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2009 4:22 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Re: TTC in 2009...

Bec,

I always get really faint lines at first too.  Faint but definite is good.  I remember those first few days of it all sinking in too.  We were trying, but I was shocked anyway.  :-) 

Take care.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 08-22-2009 3:56 PM In reply to

Robsgirl and Bec,

I was wondering how you are both feeling on your new journey?  I am trying to get a temp every morning now that I'm back to work/school.  I think you were right Bec, about the temp being off if you've been mouth breathing before waking up.  Some of my temps have been lower than the day before and then the next days is back up.  I live in NW New Mexico so, it will be pretty hot and dry for a while yet.  i hope all is well with both of you!

Pam

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 08-24-2009 3:05 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Pam,

Thanks for asking.  Sorry, I was away for a few days.  Apart from having a chest cold I'm doing well.  Overall, this pregnancy has been uncomfortable (early on, nausea, and now, pelvic pressure, headaches, irritable uterus), but I'm getting much better at just accepting whatever comes.  It helps take the focus off the discomfort.   Also I've been feeling the baby move a lot the last week or so.  I love that.  Today we also went in for our anatomy sonogram and we saw a really healthy looking baby, and it's a GIRL!!  We have three boys (no girls), and so this is a huge excitement for us. :-)  

I'm wondering how Bec is doing too. 

I've had the same experience with mouth breathing and waking temps.  It gets tricky sometimes.

RobsGirl, 31

• 08-25-2009 2:42 AM In reply to

I'm mid-miscarriage.  I think the baby died at only about 5weeks, but i was 6+4 when the bleeding and cramping began.  It was bad for an evening and then when i went to sleep it all stopped except for light bleeding.  I'm still bleeding a little but my cervix has closed and the cramps seem to be digestive rather than uterine (my bowelshave been very loose for almost a week, another sign all was not well since i am usually constipated in pregnancy).  I haven't seen anything particularly recogniseable but i could have missed it, or it might have disintegrated since it is about 10 days since i felt it was all going wrong.

I feel ok.  Bit bruised.  This is my 4th loss.  Optimistic though.  I'm sure my thin lining is an issue so we're going to try and avoid conception fo a cycle or two so i can see (from AF) if things are improving.

Robsgirl i'm so happy for you getting a little girl! :D  That news really made me smile.

Bxxx

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 08-26-2009 6:47 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I'm so sorry, Bec.  Hugs.  A success story is just around the corner for you.  Believe it. 

RobsGirl, 31

• 08-30-2009 7:50 PM In reply to

Bec,

I was very sorry to see your last post.  I hope you're recovering and that all will be well with you in the near future.

Pam

• 08-30-2009 7:53 PM In reply to

Robsgirl,

I was pleased to hear that all is going well with you and had to smile at your news of a girl; since you have all boys.  I hope all continues to go well with you.

Pam

• 08-31-2009 1:25 AM In reply to

Hi,

I am feeling much better actually.  The bleeding began in earnest on Sunday night, and continued to gush on and off as i lost shreds of membrane, until i finally passed the little placenta (which was rather well developed (if a crazy shape) considering!) on Tuesday.  My bleeding stopped completely yesterday (Sunday again) so it took 7 days - my shortest miscarriage ever - from red bleeding to completed loss, or 19 days - my longest ever - from initial spotting to completed loss.

Once the last of it was out i had this sudden immense feeling of well-being and the tense worry i'd been walking around with, but largely unaware of, had finally left me.  The difference between then and now was so vast, it's clear something had been really wrong and my body knew it.  So i felt much better which has been great for my family - DH and DD were both worrying about me as i seemed tense, shut-off and distant from the initial bit of spotting onwards.  I can't explain it except to say that i just felt "wrong" all the time.

So now we are looking at ttc again - WHEN did i start this thread!?  Wink

I am drinking RLT with peppermint every day, taking a baby aspirin and continuing on with my expensive prenatals (which i only began once pregnant last time!).  I also had my dose of thyroxine increased for pregnancy and i'm going to talk to the GP this week about whether we should leave it up or take it down again.  Since i have no hyperthyroid symptoms i'm tempted to leave it up, but i guess we'll need to discuss it.

As for the actual ttc DH and i have decided to neither try nor prevent for a few months.  So if it's meant to be it'll be.

• 09-03-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

Hi there ladies..

always looking for some place new to discuss TTC.

DH & I are 36 & 35, respectively & TTC #2. We are currently in Cycle #5 trying. DD is 21m.

I try to tell myself to relax but I can't I can't stop obsessing over temps, herbs, sex timing, etc...

What do you all follow as far as sex? I normally tend to have sex every other day a few days before & after suspected O. Ive started expanding that timeframe & somedays not skipping.

My temps are wacky, I have an 11 day LP & my cycles are almost always 27 days.

I feel so drained though having sex everyday for a over a week. Then I start to feel guilty when I skip. I must have gone back & forth 10 times today deciding whether or not we would have sex.

Thanks

• 09-04-2009 1:37 AM In reply to

Hi!  Welcome to our little ttc'ing thread Smile

If i am "trying" hard i tend to have sex every day i see good EWCM and that's it.  For the last 2 cycles where i've fallen pregnant i had sex 3 days in a row (twice in the morning then once in the evening - 36 hours after the last time, which felt less intense than the same time every day) and two days in a row (both in the evening).  For me accuracy is most effective, and i used natural contraception for 2.5 years (billings ovulation method) so i can usually identify ovulation to within about 6 hours.  I wrote our timings down last time in fact....  I ovulated on day 15, in the morning i think, because DH said i was "like a radiator" the following morning, which is how we notice my themal shift (i don't temp).  We had sex on day 12 in the evening, on days 14 and 15 in the mornings, and on day 16 in the evening, but i knew by day 16 i had already O'd.  I had positive OPK's on days 14, 15, 16, then stopped testing (i was doing so out of curiosity).

I know all the evidence and research points to daily sex being most effective, but for my relationship that would never work, and we certainly couldn't do that every month for an unknown amount of time until we were successful.  It would make sex feel like work and that is no use for us!

I am extremely lucky in that my cycles work reasonably well and i fall pregnant easily, but i've just had my 4th loss so i'm not so lucky getting one to stick in there.  I have a 3.5y/o DD though, so i know i can do it, i just need a lucky egg/month Smile

I was totally obsessing the last few months (i've never ttc'd before, DD was a surprise baby) but the most recent loss seems to have cured me for the time being.  I am obsessing with being healthy and fertile but trying not to look at when i might ovulate or pay attention to when we have sex or anything like that.  It's so hard.  If really trying isn't working all the advice to "relax" and "stop obsessing" is pointless isn't it?  I was just thinking "what!?  REALLY trying didn't work and you want me to try LESS for success?" but i do accept that it's been better for my sanity to wind it back a bit.  Do you have something else to focus on?  A hobby or activity or mix of stuff?  I've begun making little clothes for the baby-we're-hoping-for and DH and i are doing a glasgow to edinburgh cycle this month.  Just things to keep me motivated and looking forward and not slip into the "when i'm pregnant" mindset, as i find when i think like that and cannot stay pregnant i quickly feel like life is in a rut.

Best of luck, i hope you're only here until the end of this cycle Wink

Bec

• 09-04-2009 4:59 AM In reply to

Thanks for info & sorry about your losses.

I always assumed since we got pregnant before it wouldnt be an issue the next time. Not that its an issue but I wasnt expecting to be trying 5 months later. Being older I know the odds are slipping.

My cycles are regular & Ive been charting for 4 months. I get EWCM usually a few days before O & I also have O pain so thats the best I can go by.

I have a 21m old & plenty of hobbies but it doesnt stop me from thinking about #2. Im a big planner & this is the hardest thing to do since you have no control.

Good luck to you getting pregnancy to stick :)

• 09-09-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

Robsgirl!  Calling Robsgirl!  I have questions....

I hope you don't mind me asking you, it's just you have more experience than me in these matters...

I have a question re: the aspirin.  I'm taking a junior dose soluble aspirin (75mg) every day.  We're not trying this month and i am actually trying to avoid noticing when i am ovulating but i FEEL a little slippery right now, kwim?  LOL, it's so funny to be so aware i'm having to look away so i can't see the loo paper....hilarious.  Anyway, the aspirin...  Because of my thyroid thing, and possibly just becase of my constitution, i am generally a "good bleeder".  My iron is rarely low, though it has been borderline in the past (when i went to donate blood once), but i do tend to bleed fast and bruise easily at the best of times.  10 days ago i was cycling and a boy walked out into the road in front of me, in stopping i hit my left shin on the pedal (missed him though!).  At the time it was very painful, so i know it was actually quite a bad hit, but the bruise only began to STOP spreading on Monday (8 days later).  It is now healing nicely, but it has left me wondering - when do i STOP taking the aspirin? 

I'm taking it in the hopes of improving my lining for potential implantation, but bcause i already bleed well i don't want to bleed to death (not quite, but you know what i mean) if and when my period shows up.  Should i take the aspirin for the whole month?  Because the blood thinning effect lasts, would it be ok for me to stop it a little after ovulation so that the lining should be as thick as possible by implantation but the effects will wear off should my period come?  I have no known clotting problems and was not planning on taking the aspirin through pregnancy anyway.

I have to admit my GP thought my taking the aspirin was a bit unnecessary but because it's "harmless" and he could see i wanted to try things that might help he approved it.  When i asked him if/when to stop he laughed and said "i think you don't need it anyway!" and said if i wanted to take it i could go on or not as i saw fit.  He feels my miscarriage was most likely due to an abnormality, or just bad luck and not related to my endometrial layer, but i know my body and i know how heavily i usually bleed from a miscarriage, and this last one was NOTHING like it to me.  I might have enough of a lining to fall pregnant, but i don't have a lining as thick as is "normal" for ME.

So, do you have any input?  I really DO want to maximise my lining any way i can for the next few cycles, but equally i don't want to end up anaemic because of this.

My plan (which at the moment i am inclined to stick to fairly rigidly) is to test if and when 6-8 weeks have passed since the miscarriage and i've stll not had AF.  I know this would mean i could be 5-7 weeks pregnant already by then, but i just need to not be thinking about it as far as possible this time, you know?

THanks for any help yo can offer.

Bxxx

• 09-09-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Bec,

I've been thinking about this. 

I have had aspirin make me more apt to bruise.  Not terribly, though (and not currently).  I have had the problem of bleeding longer when I cut myself or whatever as well, but nothing crazy.  The bruising and bleeding is worse if I'm doing a lot of dietary anti-coagulants too (like garlic, ginger, and grape juice).

I'm a pretty good bleeder too, with heavy periods for month after month (about 3 oz or more) and still no sign of anemia. So in many ways, I'm thinking its just how I am.

If I were you, I think I'd try the aspirin for a month and see what happens with your period.  If its terribly heavy, you might re-evaluate, and stop the aspirin 10 days before your next period.  Or if you're pregnant, you'll stop when you had planned to (immediately or at 12 weeks?).  If it still seems heavy, and you're still bruising a lot, I'd consider doing other things to improve your lining.  RRL tea is said to help with lining too.  I believe some people use Vitamin E also.  There are some do-it-yourself massages, foot soaks and application of heat to your lower belly and back prior to ovulation that can increase blood flow to your pelvis (which I think is basically what the aim of aspirin is). 

If you're really wanting to keep up with the aspirin and the bruising is a problem for you, homeopathic Arnica 30C is great for bruising.  I use it for myself and my children and it really seems to help clear up the bruises much more quickly.  Using it as soon as possible after the bruise is best, and then keeping it up for a few days. 

I've also seen another supplement recommended for aiding implantation.  Bromelain (from pineapples--the recommendation was to eat lots of pineapple around expected implantation), and L-arginine (no more than four grams per day).

I know we've talked about this before, but a natural progesterone cream in the luteal phase can help maintain a good lining as well.  Progesterone also has the effect of buffering any auto-immune responses women may have to an implanting embryo.  This is why it can be helpful even when women aren't necessarily progesterone deficient, but still have miscarriages or implantation failures.  I used it this time even though I had no bleeding because of this effect.  Childrenaretreasures (Kelly) also has the hashimotos with recurrent pregnancy loss, and she used the progesterone successfully a couple years ago.

There are so many issue...too many to think about really.  I wish you all the best.

RobsGirl, 31

• 09-10-2009 2:13 AM In reply to

Hey Robsgirl,

Many thanks.  I am already drinking lots of RLT, and taking vitamin E, and using accupressure and heatpacks to stimulate blood flow, and am scheduling some reiki with my midwife later in the month (after pay day!).  Also drinking pineapple juice and grapefruit juice.  My problem with the progesterone cream is that my GP won't prescribe it (feels i am unlucky and should wait and see because 2 miscarriages (he doesn't "count" my very early losses, neither does the early pregnancy unit for that matter) with a baby in between is fairly normal in terms of average chances of things - i actually tend to agree somewhat, but i want to be doing SOMEthing) and i can't find anwhere that sells it.  Where does one get it?

Bec

• 09-14-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Sorry, I'm so late in responding again.  I've been busy homeschooling.  Wow, you're doing a lot.  That's good.  I'm surprised that progesterone cream isn't available over the counter there.  Almost every vitamin/supplement company here sells it, and its readily available online to be shipped and in drug stores.  Its a low potency, usually about 20 mg/ml, but that might be all you need.  I always used about 50 mg twice a day for luteal support.  What to look for is a "micronized progesterone cream" or "natural progesterone cream."  They're both the same thing.  Not wild yam cream, but actual progesterone cream. Here's a post I found about brand names that are available in UK, including the prescription ones.  The Microgest is a capsule that can be used vaginally (this is exactly what I did this time and it was SOOOO much better than the suppositories/pessaries).  Does your midwife have prescriptive privileges?

http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com/what-brand-of-natural-progesterone-should-i-ask-for/

Hope that helps.

RobsGirl, 31

Page 5 of 10 (142 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.