in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

TTC in 2009...

Last post 01-08-2010 2:35 AM by worstfriend. 141 replies.
Page 4 of 10 (142 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2009 12:58 PM In reply to

Re: TTC in 2009...

You can take your temp only once. best to do it around the same time every day. I personally take it orally with a digital thermometer, which I put in my mouth for a few minutes before I turn it on. I see the tempps fine and notice the shift easily. But sometimes digital is not enough and sometimes orally doesn't show a shift. It's important to remember that if you sleep til later that would probably make your temp higher when you take it. lack of sleep or having to get up in the night makes your temps erratic, as well as alcohol... so... basically try and see how you go. I like to think how for as long as your temp is low, you can still work towards getting pregnant, and of course the wetter you are then, the more fertile you are...

And then when the temp shifts, it's time to trust God and wait....

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 08-01-2009 4:57 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

journying,

I would keep the 5:30 temp just because it was probably after your longest stretch of sleep and is more consistent with the time you will be waking up regularly.  What Chamutal said is all good and true, lack of sleep, illness, alcohol, etc can make the temps go wacky, though I've still had pretty good success tracking a pattern even in odd circumstances.  Its important to have a pretty accurate thermometer, one that is accurate to within 0.1 degree.  Some are only accurate to 0.2 degrees.  I found the regular BD brand fever thermometer was great.  The sell the pretty pink or purple one for women's basal body temping, but it costs about 5 dollars more than the regular white one.  And I'll let you in on a secret.  I have one of each, and the model number on the back is EXACTLY the same, so its the same thermometer, just a different color.  I've been using the purple or white one (whichever one I can find at the moment) for 8 years now, and I've never yet had to change the battery in either.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 08-01-2009 1:27 PM In reply to

Hey everyone.

I am fascinated by the news about low temps and thyroid function - i WAS ovulating but was heavy and couldn't lose weight and suffered from being too cold and such and later (MUCH later, years later, after DD was born) i was diagnosed with a low thyroid function.  It pains me to think of being ill for about 5 years, from my late teens, and being told again and again "just eat less, exercise" by doctors who did NOT want to accept i was fat despite those measures.  I'm so glad i got it all sorted out finally.

Chamutal i'm sorry you have crazy fertility sgns o interpret this month.  Hopefully it is just a non-traditional build-up to ovulation and you'll be in the TWW with us soon!  I have my fingers crossed for you.

Journeying i just bought a digital "stick it anywhere" type thermometer which was accurate to 0.1 of a degree and used it vaginally.  It came with a kit which came from Boots chemist (a UK company) which came with a book of blank charts, a pen and a little zip-up folder to keep it all in, plus full instructions.  It said to take my temp as soon as i woke and to note if it was an abnormal time or there was some other factor (alcohol, illness etc.) which might affect temps.  There was a little box on the chart where you could write "late" "early" "hangover" or whatever.  Later on i made my own charts on the computer, just in Word, which was fun.  I tend to agree that you sould aim to take it at your normal wake-up time - i take my medication at 6am every morning, and i just set my alarm and take it, and then if i don't need to et up i go back to sleep again, maybe you could do the same with your temps?

As for me, the spotting is well and truly gone after that one time, and i am of course now wondering if i imagined it since i have so NO spotting now.  My breasts feel bruised and ache, particularly around my nipples which are quite sensitive too.  I have also had a few shooting pains, mainly on the left.  Unfortunately of course, that too seems too open to interpretation to be reliable.  Ha!  It really will take a late period and a positive test fo me won't it!  This is my second week, i'll be testing next saturday, providing AF hasn't appeared.

Bec

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 08-02-2009 1:32 AM In reply to

I also wonder if it is a not very normal for me build up to ovulation. I think that the fact that I have taken Soya Isoflavones makes some changes for me. I had this thought that when I took it, all my signs would be "By the book" and then ovulation on day 15 and all that... but instead I think that my body is getting ready to ovulate possibly around day 26, which is still a week earlier than it has been, and in fact, well within what was normal for me at healthy times.

So I souldn't worry :-)

I feel like this monthe I am dealing with some conflicting emotions relating to my next pregnancy. It is an interesting experience, as I have NEVER had conflicting emotions before, with any of the others. I think that it's to do with the fact that I decided to embrace the process without "stress". Also I know that my husband and my daughter would prefer a girl next time. So I think that because of that I am a little les enthusiastic to dance up to ovulation, which of course is a contradiction to ttc!!!

So I find myself asking myself... Do I care about the sex of the baby? Do I want another child at a certain term??? (That I always thought was somehow WRONG)  -  And I know my DH would so stop at three children and he is only walking this path because he knows how important it is for me. So there is a feeling of needing to do my best to make sure he at least gets his preffered sex... But of course this is stupied!! Because when he holds his baby in his arms he is not going to worry about the sex.

Now DD who is six, is completely unaware of what I am writing about, told me out of the blue from the other side of the room : "When you next get pregnant it has to be a girl, because we already have two boys, and we need two boys and two girls" - Telepathy??!

This thing is messing with my mind!! AAARGGGHHH! :-)

I suppose I shall ride the wave wherever it takes me...

Bec, I am so excited for you!!! Fingers well and truely crossed!!

I didn't know boots were selling those. Do you think they still sell them? How much do they sell them for?

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 08-02-2009 7:29 AM In reply to

Thank you Robsgirl, chamutal and, Bec,

for helping me understand all of this.  I checked out the web site given by Robsgirl and can understand a little more what is going on.  Hopefully my book will be here sooner than later since I ordered it from someone here in New Mexico; through amazon used books. I bought a "basal" therm. at my local Wal-mart on Friday.  It says it's accuarate to 0.10 degrees.  Is that enough?  It also says oral only.   I have used it twice (yesterday and today) and written it down on my calandar.  I'll start a chart on day 1(AF) which should be in 2-3 days.

I can see now that many months we were not dancing at the right times but, as much as i want another one; we have many things to deal with.  I always felt our DS was given to us after we worked out some major issues.  At this point we're not even dancing regularlly enough each month; a very big sign that DH is not well.  It used to be very important to him.

I continue to wish you ladies all the best where ever you are on the journey!

Pam

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 08-03-2009 3:08 PM In reply to

A very selfish post frm me, since it is late and DD wet the bed last night at 4am so i haven't slept at all well.

My "symptoms" are:

thirst - i am thirsty almost all the time, whereas recently i have been bad at staying hydrated, just now i have a water bottle on me at all times.

frequent urination - and how, but prbably due to above - what is supposed to cause the frequent weeing of early pregnancy anyway?  I am going about 9 times in 24 hours, no pain or infection, just needing to go a lot.

spotting - again today after going #2 (tmi, but hey, what did you sign up for!?) very very very slight, but there.  I am 11DPO and it is brownish, old-looking tinge to my CM.

constipation - usually i am very middle-of-the-road, but now i am definitely not.  Nothing too terrible but given how much fibre and water i'm having it's a it of a surprise

sore breasts - feel ok right now but when i took my bra off earlier to shower it was a bit of a rude shock!

Of course all of this could be circumstantial.  I'm 11DPO, AF is due Wednesday or Thursday (i usually have a 13-day luteal phase).  I have felt my cervix too often and discoveredsometimes it is longis and firmish and sometimes it is short and mushy.  No help there.

There should be a special word for the kind of bonkers the two week wait makes you! 

Loves to all...

Bec

• 08-03-2009 3:41 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

A special word for the bonkers the two week wait makes you...we should coin one.  We've made "baby dancing" very dear (though its all over the internet, it seems special here).  We could come up with something.  :-)

This is so funny.  I'm not TTC, but I do so much know what you are going through, so I don't mind lurking and taking part.  :-) 

Hang in there.

RobsGirl, 31

• 08-07-2009 1:33 AM In reply to

I'm still hanging in...

It's Friday.  I decided i would test tomorrow (16DPO) if AF hadn't arrived. 

AF hasn't arrived and there is no sign of it being imminent either.

So i guess i will test tomorrow.  I know ladies who were getting symptoms right after implantation, but i just don't KNOW until i'm about 6 weeks pregnant, it takes that long for all the obvious stuff to kick in - sickness and weird taste and so on, and by then i'm obviously going to be 2 weeks late...  I think sometimes that women were better off before pregnancy tests were invented.  I was reading a Gaskin book a few months ago (Spiritual Midwifery but an old edition from back in the day) which talked about how a pregnancy test should work around 14 days after the 1st missed period.  By then i'd know anyway...

On the other hand i do need to get my thyroxine checked and maybe adjusted ASAP if i'm pregnant, so it's for the best to know sooner rather than later i suppose....

Well i have had lots of dreams that i'm pregnant, and several that i'm not, and honestly i am still not sure at all.  I wouldn't be too surprised to see two lines tomorrow, but i wouldn't be desperately hocked if AF showed up either.  I'm still thirsty and peeing lots and also had some cramps yesterday.

My cervix is not as high or soft as it was this time last month, when the pregnancy was failing, what's up with that!?  It's not low or hard either of course...  I know with DD it stayed medium high and medium hard for long enough that i made myself stop checking it because i was stressing out.  So between 5weeks and 40+5 i never touched it (by 40+5 i wanted to feel what 1cm and 25% effaced felt like and didn't care if touching it brought ctx on, and i had no reason to worry since she stayed in almost another week).

Bec

• 08-08-2009 12:46 AM In reply to

Two lines!  I am pregnant! YesParty!!!CoolBig Smile

Bec

• 08-08-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Congratulations, Bec!!  Very happy for you.  Did you get a pretty strong line?

RobsGirl, 31

• 08-08-2009 9:12 AM In reply to

Bec,

Very happy to hear your news!  I will say prayers for you to have a happy healthy journey!

• 08-08-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

Actually i got a pretty faint line, but very obviuously definitely positive.  I tested the same day (4wks3dys) with DD and got a faint positive too.  I think the main problem is that i am incredibly thirsty and drinking to that, so urine isn't in my bladder for more than 4 hours at any time.  I am going to test again merely because i can, but the faintness of the line doesn't bother me, since it was exactly the same with DD and obviously all was well.  It's just sinking in still....wow.  Big Smile

Bec

• 08-08-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

Bec,

I tested several times with my DS but, only because DH wanted to be sure it wasn't  a false positive.  We didn't even call the midwife until after the third test.  By then I was already six days late for AF.  The first one was faint but readable and it fit with how i'd been feeling.  The other two got a little darker. 

Again, I wish you well!

Page 4 of 10 (142 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.