in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

TTC in 2009...

Last post 01-08-2010 2:35 AM by worstfriend. 141 replies.
Page 3 of 10 (142 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2009 7:59 AM In reply to

Re: TTC in 2009...

Bec,

Thank you for the thoughts.  I agree that B-day's are a time for looking back as well as forward.  It's true, a new babe at this time with all DH's probelms would not be good.  Also, I'm trying to get into a BSN program in another year so a babe between now and then would be tough too.  I know it'll happen if and when it's supposed to....just hard not "obsess" about it sometimes.  I feel better than when I last wrote.  I have had two accupuncture sessions.  Mostly it helps me relax and sleep better.  Also, DH said he would go and have the lady do some accupressure ( hate needles).  I hope this is a beginning to his getting serious about his health.

Again, thanks for the thoughts and hugs....hope you are feeling better!

Pam

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 07-23-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Chamutal, I just wanted to add my hoorah that you got to 10 days past ovulation without bleeding.  That is just awesome!!!  Definitely very hopeful for implanting a pregnancy soon.  That must be very encouraging to you.  :-)

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 07-24-2009 1:03 AM In reply to

Well i think i have ovulated. 

I say think because i had positive tests for 2 days, and have had EWCM, but no other symptoms.  Last month i had very dramatically obvious signs i'd ovulated - like it hurting to sit down hard for about 5 days!  Last month it was very obviously my right ovary, this month i assume it'd be my left but i have no signs like that this time.  Last time i assumed i'd not ovulated for so long that it was hard/bloody for the egg to actually errupt (i know Mirena can give you a cystic surface to the ovary after a long time).  This time....zip.

So we have baby-danced plenty, i can only cross my fingers and hope now...

Bec

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 07-24-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Wow, you're like clockwork.  :-)  Good luck!!

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-24-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

Wow Bec, you are like clockwork! And I LOVE the term "baby dancing"!!!

Robsgirl, Thank you for your congratulations. Indeed. 10 days is wonderful and I feel really relaxed about this next pregnancy. I say to God Thank you in advance for making me pregnant soon :-)

I am nearing ovulation though probably not imminent - and my husband is coming back tonight from a week away (He took our eldest boy to Israel for a week) so I am looking forward to baby dance!! ;-))

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 07-28-2009 12:06 PM In reply to

Ladies,

I'm glad all seems to be going well for you!  I must confess, I don't know much about natural fertility.  Most of what I know is from books and Dr.s.  I'd love to know...in a nutshell....what the different temps and number of days mean. 

If we are meant ttc this year then we better get to some "babydancing" ourselves.  We've both been frustrated about health concerns and keeping on a viable budget....so not much interaction.  Also, back to the school/work grindstone in about 17 days.

Best wishes to all!

• 07-28-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Bec, how are you doing in the two week wait?  I always did well the first week, but the second I started getting antzy.  :-)

Journying,

In a nutshell...hmmm.  Well, in a nutshell, you could get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility to explain everything in detail.  Very clear and easy to understand.   But basically, every woman has a fertile window.  Each woman is different.  There are signs that her body shows as she is becoming fertile each month (wetter cervical fluid, higher and softer cervix), and then those signs change when she has ovulated and is no longer fertile for that cycle (fluid becomes sticky or dry, and the cervix gets low and firm and closed again).  During a period and in the days leading up to ovulation her waking temperature is about a half a degree lower than it would be after ovulation.  So taking temperatures every morning before getting up, confirms when ovulation has probably taken place by seeing a rise in temperature.  The book explains why all of this occurs and gives much more detail.  But it really takes only seconds of observation each day to determine fertile and infertile times.  Its useful both for conceiving or trying to avoid pregnancy.  I love it.  I've used it for both purposes for about 8 years.

Sounds like you and hubby need to have some special time, and just work on "you two".  :-)  I know how it gets, though.  Life can get too busy and tiring to think about that stuff.

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-29-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

Hey Robsgirl, thanks for asking! :)

I am pretty good actually.  I have been smiling about how "well" it all went this month.  I began doing OPK's on about CD11 (for journeying - Cycle Day 11, the 11th day of a cycle with the first day of menstrual bleeding, or in my case, early loss, counting as CD1) and on CD14 i got my surge.  I was testing at 11am and we'd already danced that morning before DH went off to work, so i just hugged myself inside when i saw the strong line, knowing we'd already begun our journey this month.  The next morning we danced again (both seem to be morning people just now!) - this made DH late for work!  On the morning of CD16 DH told me i'd been like a radiator in the night - i am not taking my basal temperature mainly because with a 3 year old and a family to make breakfast for at 6am my temps are unreliable and my sleep is precious! :)  Anyway about once a cycle DH makes this observation, so i tend to rely on him to let me know when i've ovulated in this way.  This month he seemed spot on.  So we danced on my 2 most fertile days.  We would normally have hoped to dance the day after too, but i was really tired that day, and since Dh had already noted my temperature rise and my CM had gone sticky, i'm not convinced it'd have made a difference.  By the evening of CD16, last Friday, i was emotionally labile too, the surest sign i have definitely ovulated for me.

I am now 6DPO and my breasts have begun to feel a little heavier and i've had a few small needling pains in them.  Both might be normal in my luteal phase, or might be pregnancy, but i suppose i am listening to my body with hopeful interest.  I was really cold last night and put the heating on and then sat wondering whether i could feel an implantation dip in that way, and whether or not 5 days was too few to allow implantation to be happening already.  I must admit the clockwork-like nature this month made me really happy.  I still have not cried about the early loss, and somehow the fact that my body seems to have regarded it as menstruation makes me feel that my emotional response is spot on. 

It's funny, immediately after ovulation i was SO sure i would show up pregnant this month, but of course the days pass and the doubts creep in. 

I plan to do a pregnancy test on CD31 or 32.  That's not this weekend but next.  I could do a test this sunday (10DPO) and it might theoretically show up, but i know a negative will depress me, and after 3 early losses i am happy to have an extra week of wondering and skip a week of worrying.

I'm CD6 today, i will definitely keep you all up to date! :D

Bec

• 07-29-2009 2:28 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Bec,

You sound great.  Keeping a positive attitude no matter what is important and you seem to be doing that.  :-)  Regarding wondering if 5 days after ovulation is too early to be experienceing implantion, I really don't believe so.  With this pregnancy, I was terribly frustrated by some spotting, cramping and bearing down sensation I was experiencing at 4 (MAYbe 5 if my estimation of ovulation was a day off), thinking that it was yet another extension of my usual week-long spotting episode before my period to a full 10 days.  But the spotting continued off and on until about 9 dpo and then stopped entirely.  Next day I got a positive (faint but definite).

I know that radiator feeling.  My husband has commented like that too.

Well, take care.  :-)

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-30-2009 12:39 PM In reply to

Thanks ladies for clueing me in to the language of fertility.  I have a general understanding but will definitely look for that book and try keeping my temp. for a while.  DH said yesterday that he read in "USA Today" about the sex every day for improved sperm count.  I told him that I've been told the same thing on my forum so, we can now agree that we need to be "dancing every day!"  LOL!

I'm wondering on the temp., if haveing a low normal wil make it more difficult to track the changes?  I've been running about 98.3-98.5 most of the time but not sure what part of the cycle it was.  I took my temp this morning at about 5:30... it was 98.7.  that's a little high for me and would usually have me feeling "fluish".  I don't feel bad and do not have any body aches??????  Today is 8-DPO/CD-21 (we danced on CD's 8 and 10).  I have been having cycles of 26-27 days most of  the time the last four years.  Waiting those last theree-four days can be difficult for me.  I thought I was listening to my body but, it sounds like I need to get educated and try again.

thanks again,

Pam

• 07-31-2009 1:27 AM In reply to

I have spotting!  Not a lot.  In fact i only saw it because i'm SO looking for these things this month, but still it was there on the loo paper, a little brownish spotting.  My optimism grows.  I've had a weird morning, i got up and before breakfast had to load the slow cooker with tomorrow's dinner as it's lambs heart stew which needs a long slow cooking.  I was slicing hearts at 7am! :)

Journeying i seem to remember having a low normal BBT, because at one point i'd bought a kit to track my temps from a chemist and some of my temps were off the bottom of the chart!  I used it to check the billings method of contraception i was using (monitoring cervical position and mucus) and only did it for every 3rd or 4th month but i found it possible to identify the shift so you should be ok.  Bear in mind that like anything, these things take practice before you're real good at taking the temps and seeing the patterns on the chart.  I used an internal (vaginal) thermometer, it was digital and beeped when it was finished taking the temp.  I used to wake up, put it in and doze until it beeped and then take it out and hit "save" as then i could plot it later in the day.  I used a vaginal temp because my oral temps were always that bit lower and could fluctuate if i had a cold (and was mouth breathing) or anything.  Hope that helps a little.

Bec

• 07-31-2009 4:51 AM In reply to

Journying, I am hopeful for you... perhaps this temp means pregnancy... hoping with you. The normal low is not a problem providing it isn't REALLY low, as very low temps which are accompanied by constant wet but not fertile fluid usually indicate a low thyroid function and that can affect fertility. But the fact that your temp is high and normal today is a very good sign.

I second the recommendation for the book. Very good book.

Bec, I am keeping my fingers well and truely crossed for you. Sounds brilliant! My situation is not that great this month. Still no ovulation, and cervix going up and down. cervical fluid not consistent... temp not consistent. In other words not very fertile. ut I am sticking with feeling good and accepting my body the way it is. i trust that i will become pregnant soon enough. in the meantime... nice to dance. boy I love that exprssion!

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 07-31-2009 7:39 AM In reply to

Chamutal, thanks for the hopes.  I think my thyroid is good and mucus seems to be going according to the usual pattern( wet for the few days prior to ovulation and dry the rest of the time).  I'm sorry to hear that things are not yet in sync for you.  I'll send some prayers and thoughts to you.

Bec, I'll say some prayers for you as well.  I have several questions.  Where do you get a vaginal therm. and the "papers" to chart all the info?  Also, is there a special time in the am to take temp other than before getting out of bed?  I have ordered the book but it could take atleast a week to get here.

I wish you ladies well today and thanks for chatting!

Pam

• 07-31-2009 8:27 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi journying,

You can go to TCOYF.com

http://www.tcoyf.com/library/chartpdf.asp

They have charts that you can print out for free.  There's no particular time that's best, just any time that would be somewhat consistent for you (say, if your alarm goes off at 6AM every morning).  Holidays and weekends are usual off, which is fine.  In the book, she explains what to do if that happens (usually your temp will be a little higher if you take your temp later).  Your temps actually sound very normal to me.  I think they would consider low temps to be in the 96's.  Mine is commonly 97.7 (average) before ov and about 98.5 after.  Your high temp of 98.7 after ov seems right on.  Sounds like your making a nice little bit of progesterone. 

Way to go, Bec.  :-)

Chamutal, I'm sorry you seem to be getting inconsistent fertility signs right now. 

Take care, everyone.

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-31-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

Thanks for the info. Robsgirl. 

I have another question.  I took my temp this morning at about 5:30 and it was  98.5.  At 7:40 I took it again just to see what it would be (both time still in bed).  It was 99.5.  I got up and took it again about ten minutes later(7:50) to see what the change would be.  This time it was down to 98.4.  So, is this what you were talking about....being higher later?  Also, I'm not sure which temp to record.  When school starts, I'll be getting up by 5:30 most M-F's. 

Thanks for helping me understand this wonderfull machine of mine!

Page 3 of 10 (142 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.