in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Contracts between Midwife and student/apprentice/assistant?

Last post 05-02-2009 4:13 AM by Brlnbabies. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2009 10:57 AM

Contracts between Midwife and student/apprentice/assistant?

Hey everyone just seeking a little advice. I am wondering if any one has contracts between themselves and their students/assistants /apprentices, and if you do why? If you dont why? Would anyone be willing to forward on the contracts they keep with their people? I am just trying to get opinions and any input is great thanks so much for you time.

Giving birth should be your greatest achievement not your greatest fear.
    Jane Weideman
  • 04-29-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

Re: Contracts between Midwife and student/apprentice/assistant?

My preceptor and I signed a simple contract... it lays out expectations and I like knowing what to expect.  She also wrote up an Apprentice Handbook that is nice, along with a chart outlining responsibilities in labor, during the birth, and postpartum expected from an assistant, apprentice, and advanced apprentice (supervised primary).  I'd have to ask her about sharing it, although I doubt she'd mind.

I also assist two other midwives at some of their births, and that agreement is purely verbal.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 05-01-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

• Adrienne
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 35

I don't have an apprentice/preceptor agreement with my preceptor, and I believe it would have been very nice to set forth concrete goals and mutual responsibilities from the start.  All structured goal-keeping or feedback forms I have attempted to create for us have been turned away.  Confused

The book Training Midwives by Daphne Singingtree is really great for outlining the role of the preceptor.  I believe there are sample contracts in there.  Plus you can download and print the book yourself!

• 05-02-2009 12:18 AM In reply to

Thank you guys!! Where do I find this book to download? Do you have a link?

Thanks again!

Giving birth should be your greatest achievement not your greatest fear.
    Jane Weideman
  • 05-02-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.