in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

V-bac, I was told was high risk

Last post 06-06-2009 12:01 AM by Jennesse. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2009 8:51 AM

V-bac, I was told was high risk

Hello,
      I am planning on having a v-back home/water birth but I have a few concerns about having the baby vaginaly since the ob I saw told me that I have Strep-B and may have possibly contracted herpes from my husband,(he's had it for years but I didn't get it during our last pregnancy but the doctor said my blood tests positive this time) so according to him vaginal birth is unlikely. I have a hard time believing there is no way to prevent a breakout before/during labor and preventing an infection in the baby from the Strep-B. I have found a few midwifery tricks for 'douches' and other tricks to prevent my chances of having a breakout at the time of birth and was wondering if any midwife could recommend any of these tricks that they have actually found to work. I have NEVER had a break out EVER even with my first child which is now 4, so I don't belive the likely hood of me having a breakout would be high at all, and I do take garlic and echinacea every day along with vit-C, and avoid eating foods that have said to cause break outs.... I'm concerned that I will not be able to convince a midwife out here that I am capable of having a vbac.... I haven't talked to a midwife out here about it yet because I want to have proof from other midwifes that it is possible. Also he(the ob) says that I should be concidered high risk because I had a miscariage last year that started when I was 12wks and didn't pass for almost a month wich caused my uterus to prolapse. DUH I don't think that my uterus was made to contract for that long, it wouldn't have prolapsed if I would've passed everything sooner but because the muscle became over worked it just gave out. I tried to explain to him that in a normal situation it would be unlikely that my uterus would do that because a normal birth isn't going to last three or four weeks. Am I wrong???

• 04-21-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 476

Re: V-bac, I was told was high risk

Tmazza,

How far along are you now?  What was the reason for your cs with your first child?  How was the prolapse corrected and to what degree did your uterus prolapse? 

You are taking all the right steps to insure every chance for a normal birth.  The risks for a repeat cs are real and concrete. 

I have done a home water birth vbac with a mama who had herpes (no outbreak at time of birthing) and we did not swab for GBS in pregnancy.  The uterine prolapse would be something your midwife would really want to explore in depth but that should alone should not rule out natural birth. 

Where are you located, perhaps someone here has a name for you?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-21-2009 11:41 AM In reply to

I live in Wisconsin, am about 15wks or so according to the ob, but I know I got pregnant around the 11th of Jan so I'm not sure what the actual edd is. The prolapse happened one morning when I was using the bathroom, I felt an enormous pain after I passed quite a bit of blood and knew something wasn't right, so I checked myself to see if any dilation was occurring, and I felt 'something' blocking the opening of my cervix. So I went to the hospital, and they insisted that nothing was wrong and my cervix was closed, even though I knew what was going on, I kept telling them I think my uterus has fallen down on itself, and still they wouldn't do ANYTHING about it. SO the very next day, I went to a massage therapist who specializes in uterine massage, (my acupuncturist who was trying to help me pass everything recommended me to a wonderful acupuncture and massage therapy business which specialized in mothers who were having problems conceiving and miscarrying) I had an hour long massage and uterus repositioning massage, and an intense acupuncture treatment, and passed everything later that day and recovered very quickly. She said that it was prolapsed but it had not got to the point of inversion.

• 04-21-2009 11:54 AM In reply to

the reason I had the first cs was that my baby had hydrocephalus, and I tested positive for Strep-B. Which at the time the doctor was telling me was the only way I could birth her because if she got Strep-B she could "croak off" and that I had to anyway because of the hydrocephalus. After her being 'taken out' a neuro surgeon explained to me that what he could have done was follow her down the birth canal with an ultrasound to watch the pressure on her brain and if the pressure proved to be to much with each contraction they would've then done the cs. He also said that the dr should have told me that her condition was so slight that the actual spot of water was smaller than the size of a dime and would dissolve back into her body on its own and was not a serious case whatsoever. OH and to top it all off he had a golf trip in Hawaii to attend during my last two weeks of pregnancy so, "if we don't do the c-section while I'm here you might go into labor while I'm gone and the baby might croak off"

• 04-21-2009 12:31 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 476

Wow,

The first thing I would say to you is never go back to that OB!!

You sound like a responsible, knowledgeable woman who has the desire and confidence to take her health and birthing matters into her own hands.  Nothing you have disclosed here would rule you out for a hbac, in my opinion.  Acupuncture and mayan uterine massage are what I would've  recommended for a partial prolapse as well.  If the ER (or hospital) did not diagnose prolapse, then why would the doc have you as high risk because of that?  It wouldn't be in his records, right?

Drinking red raspberry leaf tea would be good for your uterus...vit.c and bioflavoanoids to help your ligaments stay strong.

I am not familar with any mw's in WI, but perhaps someone else here is? 

Here is a contact for the WI Guild of midwives;

Wisconsin
    Wisconsin Guild of Midwives c/o Jane Peterson, CPM
    E453 County Rd. B
    Scandanavia, WI 54977
    715-445-2277
    E-mail: Edie Wells, CPM LM at: wimidwife@usa.net

or you can go to www.Mana.org and find a midwife in your state. (Midwives Alliance of North America)

or you could come to Hawaii....Wink

happy birthing to you,

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-21-2009 12:55 PM In reply to

Congratz on your pregnancy.  Sorry, to read everything that you gone though with this.  What nerve of that Dr/OB/GYN, hospital and etc to be tellin you stuff like that.  Or doin what they did to you.  I'm so so so glad that to see you follow gut instead having somones gut do it for you.  I'm with all of the others responses to this.  Heres are some books to check out as well.  Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering:  A Doctor's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choices, Sarah J Buckley, MD.  Others are by the same group The Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveOur Bodies, Ourselves and Our Bodies, Ourselves:  Pregnancy and BirthPainless Childbirth:  An Empowering Journey Though Pregnancy and Birth, Giuditta Tornetta.  Highly recommend that keep going on this path and mean for the rest of your life now.

Think thats it for now and good luck with everything.  Please keep us posted on this.

• 04-21-2009 1:47 PM In reply to

I've been a doula for about three years now, so I've been well informed about what I should do with this birth. But like I said I almost just need some further opinions to make sure I'm playing every card, and make sure I'm well informed about what options I have available to my situation.

BTW I had gone to a different hospital when my uterus prolapsed because I was at my mother in laws, so yeah he really had no idea what was going on... I really hate to say it but most of the drs out here just don't want anything to do with anyone who might be some what of a challenge for them. One of the births I recently attended was that of a woman who was told she was preeclamptic and her blood pressure was only 140/80 at ONE visit. So about four days later they decided to induce her and her bp was only 124/??? but I remember hearing 124 and thinking, WHAT??? and you're still inducing her are u nuts??? Needless to say it ended up being a 32hr labor.

• 04-21-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 476

Tmazza,

Being a doula sure puts you ahead of the game as far as understanding that no matter what you come up with you are up against a brick wall with the medical world. You have already been labeled, sister.

IMO a homebirth, knowing that if you should need the hospital, it is there, is an intelligent, wise choice that gives you the best chance at a great outcome for you and your baby.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-06-2009 12:01 AM In reply to

Well!!  that Ob really must like to do c-sections!!  Imagine telling anyone that they need a c-sec because they have GBS!!  We know that 15-30% of all women have it at any one time, that some have it all the time, vaginally, some never have it, and most have it some of the time.  And when you said hydrocephalus I immediately started nodding my head, that yes you would need a c-sec, however, I am assuming that your baby probably had apgars of 8 or 9 and 10!!  In other words it was totally unnecessary.

The idea of VBAC's being high risk is highly publicized.  There is a slightly higher risk than for a non VBAC that your uterus could rupture.  It is about .7 per 1000 women.  Not really much of a risk at all.  The reason that some suggest hospital birth is that the first way of telling rupture is happening is by EFM...the contraction pattern changes.  However, you are likely to also have pain in your scar if this is happening.

If you are worried about herpes, there is also the drug, Acyclovir, which, if taken from 36 weeks on, usually prevents outbreaks...but if you have never had one, there is not much likelihood that birth would be the first.  I do wonder why you tested positive this pregnancy? 

I hope you go on and have a very nice home waterbirth VBAC.  There does not seem to any reason why you would not.  Get hold of a midwife now.  Do not see the OB again, or not unless you really want to.  You will get better, or different info from your Midwife that will useful for you making choices.

Jennesse

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.