in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Purple line?

Last post 04-27-2009 9:13 AM by Med Brat. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2009 3:28 AM

Purple line?

Some years back I remember hearing a midwife talk about a purple line (silver line in dark women) that can be used to determine dilation without internal examination. I belive the line appears somewhere around the sacrum or maybe perineum? I can't remember detail. Does anyone know more or where I can find more info?

Namaste´
    Kundalini, student midwife.
  • 04-10-2009 4:28 AM In reply to

Re: Purple line?

http://gentlebirth.org/archives/birth.html

Scroll down to the area which begins, "A research study in 1997 ..." and you'll be able to read about it there. Cool

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-10-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

Thank you ever so much!Yes

Namaste´
  • 04-10-2009 6:29 AM In reply to

I rememeber that!...your are good...Susuan!

• 04-10-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

Interesting. Has anyone here had any experience with using this method?

• 04-10-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

I tend to use it as a ready reckoner fairly often.  doesn't work if they have an epidural or are labouring on thier backs (but ours don't often ayway...) I have found it to be a little in advance of where the woman was at times.  It's been interesting if i have followed up with an internal exam. I'll go read the article now!!  I must admit that when i have mentioned it to other midwives I get a lot of raised eyebrows...

• 04-10-2009 6:58 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

I use it at every birth. A couple times the line has stuck at halfway but mostly it's a good indicator. When it's at full 'bloom' at the top, it never fails.  I combine the red line (I call 'red') with the front  crease and emotional signposts but, sometimes a ve can't be beat to really know where you're at.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-10-2009 7:47 PM In reply to

It's all about tools isn't it?  The more tools you have in your back pocket to pull out as needed the better. I think this includes VE, for those of us that can do them (i figure from here there are practitioners who are to able to legally perform VE's) and close obervation of external signs.  It's all about appropriateness as far as i can see

• 04-11-2009 12:33 AM In reply to

I haven't met any midwives who know about this red/purple line, so it is wonderful to have place like this where I can learn. I agree that ve is needed, at least to some extend, as I don't suppose the purple line can tell anything about baby's rotation etc? I always do as few ve's as possible though.

Namaste´
  • 04-11-2009 9:06 AM In reply to

I heard about the line a few years ago, and then I spent a lot of time looking at mama's butt cracks, and I am almost ashamed to say I have never, ever, ever seen that elusive red line. Embarrassed

The crease above the pubic bone, that I see and find dependably accurate, but the red line? I've never seen it.

• 04-11-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

thanks for that link. I've read about this in Heart & Hands, but never managed to see it.

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 04-12-2009 12:02 AM In reply to

The crease above the pubic bone? Do tell more!!Smile

Namaste´
  • 04-12-2009 10:01 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Kundalini,

The front crease is a pretty reliable indicator of complete or near complete dilation and descent of baby..

This is a quote from the Gentle birth archives:

"You can assess descent fairly well by watching the crease that forms parallel to the symphysis.  In a lean mom, you  might not have any crease at all at the beginning of labor, but the line gets wider as labor progresses and it should be nearly fully across at full dilation. Can't always see it if mom is real heavy, but it is pretty dang reliable."

I think it's caused as the bulk of the baby's shoulders come closer to the symphysis.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-12-2009 10:20 AM In reply to

I'm not sure I'm following... Does the crease start on one side and move across? You mean a crease, as in a fold? I think most women have a crease/fold approx along the pucic hairline- is that the one?
    But wouldn't that crease change according to how mom is positioned and thus regardless of dilation? I mean, if she is squatting wouldn't the crease appear because she is hunched up, where as it might not while she stands with a straight back?

Namaste´
  • 04-13-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

Wouldn't "parallel to the symphsis" be straight down?  Side to side (roughly where a section cut is made) would be perpendicular to the symphsis.

After labour i found i had gained some very straight stretchmarks underneath my pubic hair almost to my vulva from her descent (definitely weren't there the day before when i struggled with a mirror to do my weekly tidy-up...).  However XP (who spent a LOT of time behind me) never managed to see the sacral line.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.