in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Spinoff: Hand washing

Last post 04-20-2009 5:58 PM by Sleepysheephollowvt. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-09-2009 4:14 PM

Spinoff: Hand washing

Why do we as an society, today fear germs more then as societies in the past were?

• 04-09-2009 4:38 PM In reply to

Re: Spinoff: Hand washing

I truly don't know, but I think its crazy that we have become such a germophobic society. Yes we must keep places sanitary if we are exposing a part of our body that is open. But making sure every little thing we touch doesn't have germs on it is just ridiculous. I wash my hands frequently because I don't like my hands being dirty, it's so weird I can feel when my hands are dirty. But not because I'm afraid of the germs I come in contact with daily because I'm very sure my body can handle it, if you're a healthy person then I don't think theres such a huge need to be afraid of the things we come in contact with in our lives. In fact right now I am coughing up a storm because I have a bug, but I know that once I'm well my immune system will be stronger then it was before.

I'm liking the discussions lol.

• 04-09-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

blooming9midwife:

I truly don't know, but I think its crazy that we have become such a germophobic society. Yes we must keep places sanitary if we are exposing a part of our body that is open. But making sure every little thing we touch doesn't have germs on it is just ridiculous. I wash my hands frequently because I don't like my hands being dirty, it's so weird I can feel when my hands are dirty. But not because I'm afraid of the germs I come in contact with daily because I'm very sure my body can handle it, if you're a healthy person then I don't think theres such a huge need to be afraid of the things we come in contact with in our lives. In fact right now I am coughing up a storm because I have a bug, but I know that once I'm well my immune system will be stronger then it was before.

I'm liking the discussions lol.

Emily,

Thanx for your response here.  WOW it seems to me that we are pretty much alike each other.  In others aren't of course.

• 04-09-2009 6:38 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

I think the new fear of germs simply stems from our technological ability to identify them, their sources/causes and their potential effects on our bodies.  It's not necessarily that there are "more" "scary" germs (although those super bacteria that are antibiotic resistant... WHOA!!), I think that simply being more aware of them causes the fear. 

It would be like if everyday for an entire summer you went surfing off the coast of Florida.  You had an absolutely FABULOUS time!  Then, you're headed out the next year when you read about a shark attack that occured only yesterday off that same coast.  You had no idea there were sharks there the last 90 times you went out; the danger was very real but you still had a good time.  Now today, you stand at the waters edge with your chain mail suit, can of shark repellent, and spear gun... "just in case".  The risk is no greater today then it was last year.  There aren't "more" sharks in the water.  You simply are aware of their existance, and consequently danger, and the thought of what "might" happen scares the sanity right out of you! 

Mandi
  • 04-09-2009 7:13 PM In reply to

Oh Mandi....you are so right!

Thanks for the chuckle.

Mary

• 04-09-2009 9:30 PM In reply to

I too wash off yucky stuff but do not freak out over ordinary around the house stuff. When I go tothe storeand such,washing my hands is the first thing I do. I do like to use a dishwasher because I believe it prevents alot of sickness being passed about.  I don't use bandaids unless something is threatening to fall off[large cuts,and such.]because I think the bandaid gets wet and then harbours bugs.  The super bugs are another story.  They are ugly and fast acting.  Best reason I know of for homebirth.  My dd had a baby this past summer in a large,prestigious hosp.  She and her baby both got MRSA.  --Along with her repeat surg.birth[after the one she didn't need the last time!!] 

If my hands get dry,I use castor oil at nite.  I use it as a carrier oil for some other oils I use. 

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 04-20-2009 5:58 PM In reply to

I"m probably terrible with this, but, although I do wash my hands, I too belive that your immune system needs something to practice on (same idea as vacc???)  I think George Carlin did a skit on this.  Anyhow, my husband is terrible...any little scrape or cut the kids get, grab the peroxide or the ointment...drives me up a wall.  When i was little and a tomboy, my dad would look at it and say, shake it off, go run it under water, or put some snow on it.  I can tell you that I"m LESS worried about myself and MORE worried about my children, as I know the dangers of catching a sheep then going back to my sandwich and they don't.  Plus, they're more likely to put their hands near or in their mouth.  I always have sanitizer in the barn or on me, so I can assist a ewe in labor or if I need to touch a cut on one of them.  It's more for them then me.  Also, our animals sleep on our bed, and i've seen Gabe laughing on the floor while the dog licked his face.  I know my animals are all healthy, and although dog spit isn't the best, it's not the worst, either.  If you think about it, the dog's mouth is probably safer than some of the girls he could choose to kiss as he gets older! Surprise  My aunt, on the other hand, is a hypochondriac geraphob.  she's so concerned wiht handwashing that during the winter her hands get so dry they crack and bleed, and although i've pointed out she's MORE Likely to get sick from having open wounds, she still insists on washing everything~

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.