in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Menstruation Question

Last post 04-23-2009 7:56 PM by eadunne. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-01-2009 10:32 AM

Menstruation Question

Hi, I have a friend who is 35 and has terribly painful periods. She usually has to miss a day of work, or at least she takes a lot of ibuprophen to be functional. She usually experiences extreme cramps, diarrhea, and also has a history of depression (PMS as well). Well, Monday morning as she was getting ready for work, she was hit with diarrhea and severe cramps, and as she was sitting on the toilet, she passed out and cut her chin. When she woke up she vomitted several times. She didn't have any Advil at home and had been planning on enduring the pain till she could pick some up on the way to work. The nurse at the ER said that it what she experienced was "normal", and that many women experience such severe pain with menstration. I said to my friend that it's not normal, but may be common. Any ideas of how she can help this problem? She is not sexually active, and has no children.

• 04-01-2009 12:02 PM In reply to

Re: Menstruation Question

The problem with menstrual problems is that dependingon your age and parity doctors always are convinced it will get better after puberty/pregnancy/anothe pregnancy/menopause.  And thus problems are common and cures are thin on the ground.

I don't have anything useful to offer i'm afraid, but i'm sure some of the wise ladies on here will be able to help.  I take evening primrose oil and starflower oil all month when not ttc and RLT when i feel cramps beginning.  I tend to have dragging back pain as i have a retroverted uterus.  I know several women who suffer as you describe so it must be fairly common, but i don't think i know anyone who was cured yet.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 04-01-2009 12:40 PM In reply to

Sorry, to hear about your friends menstration problems.  Kinda experience these problems myself, but not as severe as hers and etc.  This part is removed from here and goin into a new response now.

Hope my recommendations do help her.

• 04-06-2009 6:19 PM In reply to

Wow.  Passing out from pain/cramping diarrhea during a period is definitely not normal.  I would recommend acupuncture and herbs from an experienced Chinese medical practitioner.  

Your friend might also seriously consider hormonal birth control.  This is usually the only response western med has to this kind of thing, and while I don't agree that it is necessarily the best or only remedy, your friend deserves to know that it is an option.  There are all different types of hormonal birth controls and most reduce pain and blood flow with periods.  Some eliminate periods.  

Hormonal birth control won't change an underlying issue or imbalance your friend has, but it might be a tool she uses.  

• 04-06-2009 8:07 PM In reply to

I had periods like this when I was younger--from the first time I got my period until my first child at the tender age of 32.  My problem was due to endometriosis.  My mother never understood what I was going through until she finally saw it one day and rushed me off to the emergency room which was very embarrassing at 16.  Almost the same story by the ER doc that your friend got: "It's your period. Take some Midol. Some girls are like this." At around 18/19 I got some relief from the pain and diarrhea from a prescription medication with a narcotic component to it (gynecologist prescribed) but then I was basically looped for a day .. and then constipated afterward.  When I was in college, he prescribed birth control pills which did stop the horrendous periods but caused cysts in my breasts and after the 5th surgery for those, I packed the pill away.  I was told I couldn't never get pregnant because of the endometriosis so I did not use birth control for years!  The doc's exact words are, "You'll never get pregnant. You have endometriosis."

I wish I would've known about TCM/acupuncture then as I do now because I think it would've worked wonders for me.  What cured me, however, was the birth of my first.  I never had any periods again remotely like those before getting pregnant.  Labor was pretty much the same feeling as those periods, however, complete with the emotional signposts, the contractions coming closer together, diarrhea, nausea, etc.

I would also encourage your friend to see a TCM practitioner and also to see if she can find a midwife or holistically-minded physician to work with her.  I certainly don't recommend using pregnancy as a cure for possible endometriosis, however! 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-13-2009 12:08 PM In reply to

I had periods like this all through my teenage years.  So did my sister.  So did my mom when she was young.  Our Doc put my sister on birth control pills at about 14 years old and that controlled it for her (she's just now coming off them to ttc at 28 yrs old!).  I did the same later, when I was ready to be sexually active, and it did control it, but I don't like hormonal birth control and went off after a couple years to use Fertility Awareness instead.  Which meant I was back to this kind of period. No  My mom said hers went away once she had children and I guess I'll see what happens for me.  I just had my first post-partum flow and there were no sensations to it - no cramps at all - which was very weird for me.  I'm hoping I will follow in my mother's footsteps, but am trying not to get my hopes up.  What I used before I got pregnant is very unconventional, but I used marijuana medicinally.  It took away the pain, the nausea, the diarrhea... everything.  I still stayed home from work (thought it was appropriate due to the medicine I was using) and instead of thinking of my period in such a negative light I started to try and put it in a positive one - it was a day (or a few days) where I stayed home and took care of myself.

Em, Momma to Adelh
    Doula and CNM in the making
  • 04-19-2009 6:32 PM In reply to

Thank you everyone for your responses, and all the ideas! I think my friend should really look into doing something about her situation, as it's a real suffering for her every month. I know she'd love to get married and have a baby (not just to solve her problem!), but first she has to find a good husband! Does anyone know about side-effects of the Pill, when used to ease menstruation problems? I know that is often recommended by doctors. Anyways, thanks, and I'll be sharing your ideas with her.

p.s. One of you mentioned using medicinal marijuana, was it eaten or smoked?  I seriously doubt my friend would go for that, since it's illegal, she doesn't do drugs and she would never smoke anything, but it's worth mentioning - you never know!

• 04-19-2009 6:38 PM In reply to

Your welcome and its our pleasure to help you or whomever.  Thats what we are here for.  Unsure on what to recommend to you.  This part was orginally in my orginal response to your thread here.  Have decided to move it down here.  Highly recommend that she checks out Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective.  Found its really helpful.

• 04-20-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

The side effects of the pill for easing menstruation difficulties are not going to be any different than using the pill for simply birth control.  The body doesn't/can't distinguish.  It might be well worth your friend's while to get several opinions from western and eastern modalities and decide which is best for her or if she'd like to do a combo.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-22-2009 12:02 AM In reply to

Nup, not normal at all.  It is so interesting to me that western medicine continues this 'plight of the wounded female' saga...as if it is our lot in life to be sick or in pain because of our apparently 'faulty physiology'.

I feel for your friend.  I would look really, really closely at existing diet, lifestyle, etc and seriously consider everything everyone has already mentioned Wink and also get right into seeing what her body is doing with hormone studies, blood and saliva tests, etc.  It will most likely be a fair amount of work for her, but she will be better for it...even if she doesn't find answers right away, she is owning it and demanding more than she has been given so far.

• 04-23-2009 7:56 PM In reply to

BappyGirl:

p.s. One of you mentioned using medicinal marijuana, was it eaten or smoked?  I seriously doubt my friend would go for that, since it's illegal, she doesn't do drugs and she would never smoke anything, but it's worth mentioning - you never know!

The illegality is something you definitely have to decide to take on.  There can be negative energy in doing something illegal, even if you've decided it's right for you, but if you can reconcile it I believe it's a valuable choice.  I smoked it (baked goods were too hard to replicate a dosage well), but VERY little.  One to two small hits was enough for pain relief and I wasn't stoned out of my head.  A friend of mine used baked goods to treat a nerve problem and prefered that to smoking, however.  Everyone's reaction is different.  

Em, Momma to Adelh
    Doula and CNM in the making
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.