in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Urologist Argues Against Neonatal Male Circumsion

Last post 04-28-2009 4:46 AM by Brlnbabies. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2009 2:23 PM

Urologist Argues Against Neonatal Male Circumsion

Medscape put up an article today from the journal, Nature Clinical Practical Urology Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2009;6(2):74-75) in which Robert S. Van Howe "refutes claims that circumcision has a protective effect from genital cancer, urinary tract infections, and sexually transmitted infections."  His last paragraph reads, " Circumcision has no medical indication during the newborn period, and it is not the first-line preventitive for any illness.  Very few adult men choose to be circumcised, full disclosure is a rarity, and parental proxy consent for newborn circumcision is not valid. [referenced] No reason exists that can justify why circumscision cannot wait until the infant is old enough to choose for himself.  As a public health measure, newborn circumcision in the US has failed to show a benefit in protecting against cervical cancer, penile cancer, STIs, and HIV."

The reference to "parental proxy consent" comes from Svoboda JS et al. (2000) Informed consent for neonatal circumscison: an ethical and legal conundrum. J Contemp Health Law Policy 17: 61-133.

You can access Van Howe's article through Medscape.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-02-2009 9:59 PM In reply to

Re: Urologist Argues Against Neonatal Male Circumsion

AND the expence is staggering.  In My state[mi.]medicade pays for this unnecessary,dangerous,no diagnoais,expensive procedure.  The money for public health,maternal/child care could be used so much more wisely.  Now with the discussion of health care needs,call or write to your senators and congressperson.  Write a letter to the editor.  Insist that your state stop paying for babies to be circumcised.  I know the numbers of circs drop dramaticlly if it is a private pay procedure.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 04-27-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

• Med Brat
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 5

Surely people have a right to choose what they want for own children based on own religious / cultural beliefs?

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here btw - as i'm an intactivist - and agree with all of the statements made by Van Howe (2009) and others before him

Midwifery Not Medwifery
  • 04-27-2009 10:30 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Playing devils advocate here as well;

Surely an infant has the right to be left intact and when of an age of reason, make an informed decision about his genitalia based on cultural, religious, personal and medical facts/beliefs?

An urologist is a medical profesional, his medical opinion is valid.  His opinions on culture and religious preferences are not.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-27-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

Med Brat, my original post was not about cultural or religious "benefits" and the article states, "Circumcision has no medical indication during the newborn period, and it is not the first-line preventitive for any illness."  We can't have debates about religious beliefs here. 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-28-2009 3:57 AM In reply to

• Med Brat
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 5

Brlnbabies said "We can't have debates about religious beliefs here".

Why Not!!! I relish debate & discussion, and the topic of circumcision here (and on the original forum) does not get debated, as we're "preaching to the converted"

I'm an intactivist, i just like debate and discussion, i hate that we cannot talk about religion / etc for fear of offending anyone

Peace and love

Midwifery Not Medwifery
  • 04-28-2009 4:46 AM In reply to

It's not for fear of offending anyone.  It's to keep from bashing and being mean and to discourage "My religion's better than yours".  And not all members are on board with circumcision.

Susan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.