in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

LLL against homebirth?

Last post 05-01-2009 11:33 AM by MrsPianoMan. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-25-2009 10:19 AM

LLL against homebirth?

Last night I was chatting with a friend that lives in GA. I was telling her of my plans to become a leader and such. She informed me her friend who is trying to become a leader as well is having a hell of a time because the women she is working on accreditation with is making it next to impossible for her to become a leader because she's had an UC. This women also told her that she is not "allowed" to mention the word homebirth or encourage it...with or without a midwife.

From my understanding this is just happening in GA LLL but I'm wondering if anyone else in other states have heard about LLL is against homebirth or not condoning it. Any statements or press releases been issued?

If that is the case then I don't think I can be a leader since after all since my *ultimate* goal is to be a home birth midwife. I refuse to be stifled and not tell women that homebirth is a viable option for low-risk women.

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-25-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

Re: LLL against homebirth?

Well. huh,. This sounds like a rogue leader.  What I would do if I were the LA (leader applicant) is to ask very specific questions of the sponsoring Leader to clarify if this is the Leader's (incorrect) perception of LLL or if the Leader is saying don't mention this because it will label the local LL group as weird, hippie, strange, those crazy breast milk leakin' ladies.  (Somebody called me once and asked, "Is this the Leakey League?"  Although I realize it was a mispronunciation of Leche, it was very hard to keep a straight phone "face".)  I would ask the Leader to point me to specific League policies and statements to back up her saying that League frowns upon Leaders' birth choices.  If she can't or won't or continues to say this, then I would start going up the chain and consult with the DA (district advisor) and then with the Georgia Leader Applicant department.

We have Leaders who are midwives and who have had UCs.  All League asks is that you keep your hats separate. Don't wear your midwife hat when you're doing League things, don't advertise your services at meetings--that kind of stuff.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-25-2009 4:40 PM In reply to

Brlnbabies:

Well. huh,. This sounds like a rogue leader.  What I would do if I were the LA (leader applicant) is to ask very specific questions of the sponsoring Leader to clarify if this is the Leader's (incorrect) perception of LLL or if the Leader is saying don't mention this because it will label the local LL group as weird, hippie, strange, those crazy breast milk leakin' ladies.  (Somebody called me once and asked, "Is this the Leakey League?"  Although I realize it was a mispronunciation of Leche, it was very hard to keep a straight phone "face".)  I would ask the Leader to point me to specific League policies and statements to back up her saying that League frowns upon Leaders' birth choices.  If she can't or won't or continues to say this, then I would start going up the chain and consult with the DA (district advisor) and then with the Georgia Leader Applicant department.

We have Leaders who are midwives and who have had UCs.  All League asks is that you keep your hats separate. Don't wear your midwife hat when you're doing League things, don't advertise your services at meetings--that kind of stuff.

Cindy,

Sorry, to read about your friend's/maybe others experiences with this.  I'm with what brlnbabies response here.  What you got to be kidding me on this.  Thats why I never intend to become a leader or etc along those lines because its not worth the time or engery in my eyes.  At the same time I'm willing to keep doing my learning and researching.

• 03-25-2009 8:19 PM In reply to

Brlnbabies,

OT but I LOVE your siggy quote! I'm a HUGE Ani fan of 13yrs+ and finally got to see her live this month for the first time!!

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-30-2009 8:23 PM In reply to

What is LLL? What do they do?

• 03-30-2009 8:41 PM In reply to

blooming9midwife:

What is LLL? What do they do?

LLL stands for La Leche League.  Basically, breastfeeding, Lactivism, Etc.  Recommend that you check out their site for more info.

• 04-20-2009 9:28 PM In reply to

I was a long time LLL leader...for about 11 years.  I stopped being a leader when I became a IBCLC, and also an apprentice Midwife.  The area I lived in was very against Leaders becoming IBCLC's, or maybe it was just an area adviser.  However, about two years after I retired, it was realized that there was definitely a place for LC"s who were willing to volunteer, as well as earn wages, within the group.

I suspect this is a similar situation.  One person has an idea of what the group should be.  It is however, very important within LLL that other "platforms" are not supported, and that everyone feels that they can be encouraged to breastfeed.  As a result they do not promote politics, religion or any other specific causes.

Becoming a homebirth midwife is am important goal and may not be a problem with LLL, providing you do not tell everyone that homebirth is the only way to go.  I guess the way to go is to support everyone to breastfeed, so that they can become empowered enough to ask about birth and other alternatives.  I must admit that this certainly happened to me. 

So, think about what you can get from the organization, what you can give to the organization, and if you will really have to give anything up to become a leader.

Sincerely

• 04-21-2009 8:52 PM In reply to

Hi Jennesse,  Im thinking you are one of our old friends.  Welcome back,or welcome!  what ever the case may be!

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 04-30-2009 1:20 PM In reply to

Thanks Jennesse!

~ Cindy
  • 05-01-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

Hi all.  New to this forum.  I'm a LLL leader & 3x homebirther.  This response sounds accurate to me-- separate hats & all.  LLL officially states that unmedicated birth w/ active participation from the mother help get breastfeeding off to the best start, but at LLL functions, we are required to stick to only breastfeeding topics.  Our LLL has separate topic meetings for things outside the realm of breastfeeding, that go beyond typical meeting topic depth or scope, for example vaccines, homebirth, circumcision, babywearing, or other topics of special interest.

Mommy to unmedicated hospital birth DD 2002, and home waterbirths DD 2004, DS 2006, and DD 2008. Angel baby 2007.

Babywearing, bed-sharing, tandem-nursing, non-vaxxing, homeschooling mommy. Breastfeeding counselor, birth hobbyist, and someday childbirth educator.
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.