in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

I've Finally Figured it Out!

Last post 03-17-2009 5:36 PM by RobsGirl. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2009 2:44 PM

I've Finally Figured it Out!

Great news! I've heard back from an instructor for the Human Lactation program at WSU. I told her about my clinical experience. I'm hoping and praying that I will be selected into the program. Over 80% of students are nurses and half of the students are working on their masters or doctorate degrees. I did however say I am enrolled in a nursing program at a local community college. If I get accept I will stay enrolled in it until after the course.

I have also figured out which pathway I can take to become an IBCLC. I have over 500hrs+ breastfeeding counseling. A year as an LLL Leader accounts for 500 more hours. I'm hoping to become a leader by the end of summer. I already have a meeting room reserved at a nursing home. I'm on it like white on rice!

Just want to clarify I'm not becoiming a LLL Leader to become an IBCLC. I want to be both! There isn't a LLL group in Delaware and I was a breastfeeding peer counselor for 2.5yrs at two local hospitals.

Even better news!!! I've figured out how to use my GI bill in a round about way to pay for my midwifery education. Let me explain this as simply as possibly. In august a new brand of GI Bill  will become effective, it's called the Post 9/11 bill. It pays for ALL of your education of an approved program, a yearly $1,000 stipend for books & supplies and a monthly BAH (housing allowance). From my understanding regardless of how many credits I'm taking I still get the BAH. So I will stay enrolled at Delaware Tech and come fall apply for the new GI Bill, take one class per semester and then use my BAH to pay for midwifery school! Wahla! I'm looking into Ancient Art Midwifery Institute, the reviews are great by current students and the whole program is around $3500.

So while I'm taking one course per semester at the local community college I will simultaneously attend AAMI.

After I complete the Human Lactation program I will change my major from Nursing to undeclared. I'm still going to take Clinical Math because I think that will be helpful as a midwife. I'm also going to take Sociology and Infant & Child Development because those courses are recommended (not required) to sit for the IBCLC exam. I already I have taken nutrition, psychology and anatomy & physiology courses.

Then I will use the rest of my GI Bill up by taking courses in Spanish :O)

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-17-2009 5:36 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Re: I've Finally Figured it Out!

That's very clever.  I'm glad you found a way.  I bet that makes you breath a little easier.  AAMI looks great, from what I've heard and read. 

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.