in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

"The actual health benefits of breast-feeding are surprisingly thin..."

Last post 03-24-2009 8:45 PM by Doula Mary. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-13-2009 12:04 PM

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

"The actual health benefits of breast-feeding are surprisingly thin..."

This is an actual quote from the article below written for the April 2009 edition of The Atlantic: "The actual health benefits of breast-feeding are surprisingly thin, far thinner than most popular literature indicates." 

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/20090...-breastfeeding

Is this woman serious?  How many people read this article?  Where is her evidence?  Is she actually right?  Wow.  Just wow.  And if the article itself isn't enough to send the Lactivists into a frenzy, check out the videos below  (I think #3 is my personal "favorite...yikes!)!!

http://podcasts.theatlantic.com/2009/03/case-against-breastfeeding.php

Video #1 A discussion of the science and culture of breastfeeding; Video #2  A discussion of judgemental onlookers;  Video #3 Challenging the scientific evidence for breastfeeding.

Mandi
  • 03-13-2009 7:26 PM In reply to

Re: "The actual health benefits of breast-feeding are surprisingly thin..."

Well the best response I can give is what my daddy used to say.  Opinions are like rearends,everybody's got one!! 

I have a sneaky feeling these women [one a doctor]have a sponsor.  Anyone who raises mammals ie horses,cattle, sheep,will tell you the baby doesn't have much of a chance of doing well if the mother can't nurse.  common sense should tell you a high order mammal such as a human baby will have the same needs.  Yes through years of research better artifical baby milk has been made.  I wonder why there would be an attempt to develope more complex formulas if running the kid under the milk spicot worked so well ?   I think these ladies should go some where else and play.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 03-13-2009 7:41 PM In reply to

ClaudiaToms, you're exactly right, I was born and raised on a Cattle farm and I know by experience that if the calf doesn't have a chance to suckle on its mama, it doesn't have a high chance of living if a chance at all. All of the calves that we had that never got a chance with its mama's milk died.

In my own personal opinion, its selfish if a mother sticks her child on a formula instead of her own milk, unless she has a condition that makes her milk unsafe.

• 03-13-2009 9:25 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

These women were intelligent and well spoken and gave rise to some good points but they came off as defensive and selfish, IMO.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 03-14-2009 10:15 PM In reply to

I agree April, it sounds like breastfeeding is taking a hard rap..when I think ALL mothers at times can be overwhelmed and resentful, breastfeeding or not.

May

• 03-15-2009 9:12 PM In reply to

I wonder why all of them did breast feed if it was of little benifit.  That whole sequence was hard to assess.  What was their point?  And to what group/[?media ]were they trying to reach? 

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 03-16-2009 10:22 AM In reply to

Mandi,

Thanx for sharin this with us.  I'm with you and others on this.  Don't even get me started my own response to this.

• 03-17-2009 10:17 AM In reply to

At the moment I'm at the library and readin the print aritlce.  By the way I'm sharin on some of the other forums that I frequent.  Don't worry I quoted the intro message of this thread of course.

• 03-17-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

I found a well written "reply" to this article.  Thought I'd share it too :)

Happy Saint Patricks Day everyone!

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2009/03/17/the-case-against-breastfeeding-is-it-anti-feminist/ 

Mandi
  • 03-17-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

Mandi,

Thanx for sharin this with us.  Also, goin to pass this on to other forums that I have posted this on.

Got this quote from another messageboard that I belong to and just wanted to pass this on to your guys as well.

I think I saw an article title today that says "Judge ____ says Americans are over-indulgent".  I think that the anti-breastfeeding community is probably the epitome of that!  I mean the real question is WHY BUY IT WHEN YOU CAN GET IT FOR FREE?  Except it is inconvenient or painful or "icky"...  Hell, Americans want the latest and greatest, they want the easiest, they want the fastest, etc...

(Oh, and I am an American.)

I get that some women cannot breastfeed due to medications or low supply or a number of other reasons.  But SERIOUSLY...have we gotten to the point where we WANT to JUSTIFY NOT breastfeeding.  This astonishes me.

In my eyes I'm personally don't agree with your response here.  Again, don't even get me started my own response to this.

• 03-17-2009 5:40 PM In reply to

Again, got this from another forum that I frequent.

Have removed the quoted parts because its in violination of UA here.  Kinda got the same impression as you got with her.  At the same time I wasn't totally outrage with her.  By the way shes was also on NBC Today and torn on how I feel about this.  Basically, shes all for this.

• 03-19-2009 12:35 PM In reply to

As the others have pointed at on here and etc. There are actual benefits of breast-feeding are not surpisingly thin as what the author of the article thinks. Don't give up so easy with this or anything else because its worth while to you and others.

• 03-20-2009 3:31 AM In reply to

The American Academy of Pediatrics responded to Ms. Rosin's Atlantic article and "Today Show" appearance with the following:

Letters to the editor

The Atlantic

Submitted via email

In the article, "The Case Against Breast-Feeding" by Hanna Rosin, the author skims the literature and has omitted many recent statements
    including the 2005 statement of the American Academy of Pediatrics which supports the value of breastfeeding for most infants. This
    policy references every statement with scientific evidence from over 200 articles which meet scientific standards for accuracy and rigor.
    The statement was meticulously reviewed by the Section on Breastfeeding, the Committee on Nutrition and numerous other
    committees and approved by the Board of Directors of the Academy. Breastfeeding and Maternal and Infant Health Outcomes in Developed
    Countries, a study released by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (the AHRQ Report) strongly supports the evidence of benefits
    demonstrated in the breastfeeding research. The evidence for the value of breastfeeding is scientific, it is strong, and it is continually
    being reaffirmed by new research work.

The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages women to make an informed decision about feeding their infants based on scientifically
    established information from credible resources.

David T. Tayloe, Jr., MD, FAAP
    President
    American Academy of Pediatrics

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-20-2009 1:19 PM In reply to

brlnbabies,

Thanx for postin this postin this letter.  I'm so so so glad that someone has wrote a letter to the magazine and author about this.  By the way I posted the letter on all of the forums that I have posted link to the article on as well.

• 03-21-2009 7:43 AM In reply to

Wow! Okay, I need to get my thoughts together. I just finished the first video, I'm expecting worse to come, but I wanted to comment before I lose my train of thought and forget what I wanted to say.

First of all, the benefits of breastfeeding are absolutely NOT thin, they are overwhelming! I'm shocked to see a breast cancer survivor, who breastfed her child until the age of two, to participate in this when breastfeeding REDUCES your child's risk of duhh... CANCER. That's just amazing to me. I cannot understand how they can ignore all the scientifically proven benefits that the "magical milk" provides. If it makes you feel bad that you could not breastfeed, I'm sorry, but that does not make the science false. It seems like the whole point of this video is to tell people, "It's okay not to breastfeed," which some women may need to hear, but don't LIE.

I will say that I did not disagree with most of the things they were saying. Do I think breastfeeding is extremely important? YES! But do I think it's the end of the world if you don't? Absolutely not, and I know many, many nursing mothers who feel this way. I used to harshly judge women who did not breastfeed, but then I realized I was cutting myself off for this very large group of wonderful women and mothers. Breastfeeding alone does not make you a good mother, it's a combination of many things. I'm sure we can all, nursing or not, agree on this. Can't we all just get along?

I just started watching the second video and I don't think I have the patience to watch the rest of them at the moment. But before I go (I think if I watched them all, this post might get extremely long, lol) I wanted to comment on one other subject- Why would you blame breastfeeding for the fact that mothers have to return to work too early?? That's not a problem with breastfeeding, that's a problem with our society and work environments in general! Why not lobby together to demand fair treatment for new mothers, and laws that promote the best interest of our children? I'm baffled. "We'll never be Norway"- Not with that attitude! So pessimistic.

And very lastly, as a feminist, I'm offended at the doctor's implying that breastfeeding is somehow anti-feminist. I could NOT disgree more on that one!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.