in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Advice re prelabour rupture of membranes please!!!

Last post 06-23-2009 9:28 AM by Brlnbabies. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2009 7:31 AM In reply to

• scala
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Posts 6

Re: Advice re prelabour rupture of membranes please!!!

Hello all. So great to see that the circumstances which i described promted such interesting responses!!!

So i passed on the information and at 1800 she took her first dose of caulophyllum. Within and hour and a half contractions were regular, but short, and following one further dose labour really began!!! Mama laboured in the pool, and progressed very quickly , brithing an 8lb 15 and half ounce baby at 02;48, very short second stage. She couldnt be happier!!!! And i was honored to be present.

Once again thank you so so much for the advice. Homeopathy has truely excelled itself here!!!

Blessings

• 03-15-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• scala
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Posts 6

P>s At the time of birth her waters had gone approx 53 hours previousl. Time is a great tonic!

• 03-15-2009 1:02 PM In reply to

claudiaToms:

Seems to me that using any douche[that is what it is regardless if you call it an irrigation]defeats the purpose of nothing in the vagina.  Besides being irritation, which disposes the tissue to infection,but that also rinses the bacteria from the lower vagina closer to the cervix.  I know sometimes one has to do something to satisfy the command post[the hosp.or Dr],but I really think it isn't necessary.  I really wish we could find Gloria's artical about SROM.

It can't all be blamed on doctors and hospitals- some clients make an informed decision to choose to do something that will help to reduce the incidence of GBS infection in newborns without having to take IV abx that may cause thrush, etc.  We give them a paper with statistics regarding incidence of infection doing nothing, using a chlorhexidine *rinse* or getting IV abx... and also make sure they understand that a negative GBS result does not guarantee they will be GBS negative at time of birth, blah blah blah.

And I never said douche- I said rinse, meaning the vulva.  I said nothing about inserting anything into the vagina.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-15-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

scala:

Hello all. So great to see that the circumstances which i described promted such interesting responses!!!

So i passed on the information and at 1800 she took her first dose of caulophyllum. Within and hour and a half contractions were regular, but short, and following one further dose labour really began!!! Mama laboured in the pool, and progressed very quickly , brithing an 8lb 15 and half ounce baby at 02;48, very short second stage. She couldnt be happier!!!! And i was honored to be present.

Once again thank you so so much for the advice. Homeopathy has truely excelled itself here!!!

Blessings

Another happy ending!  Big Smile

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-16-2009 2:16 AM In reply to

Wow I am so so happy to hear. I must say, I have seen again and again Homeopathy in labour being just magic. The yellow kit from Helios is very good (though I take some other remedies with me as well) I call it "my little box of tricks" as it has sometimes got ladies out if very dangerous situations for instance a baby who's heart was extremely low at the birth center (low for long enough for transfer to the hospital but mother refused to move) I gave Carbo Veg 200c, and heart rate recovered... this baby was born alive and well with a true knot in the cord... Or the woman who was treated completely irresposibly by her midwife during the third stage (this was a prisoner I was called in for and had no birth plan to support me saying anything) midwife cut cord, applied traction and abdominal massage and gave no syntometrine which resulted in a massive bleed. then she was slow to get the synto, it wasn't to hand... by the time she got it the bleeding almost stopped after one dose of Ipecac 200.     Well worth carrying this box with you. They will send to any part of the world and the box has a very informative little booklet which if studied carefully, is absolutely enough for deciding on a remedy.     Big Mazal Tov to your friend, blessings and plenty of milk!!

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 03-16-2009 6:12 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

What a great outcome.  Hope mom and baby are nursing nicely.  :-)

Carbo veg (not sure which potency) worked wonders for me too.  It was amazing that I went from feeling as though I was going to pass out and having a VERY low BP (60/40 maybe) to being alert and much revived about 1 minute later (BP shortly went up to 90/60).  This was after a pretty heavy bleed, and being in a nice warm pool for a little bit too long.  Homeopathy rocks!!

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 03-18-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

I agree with Claudia, not sure a "rinse" is a good idea at all!!!

• 03-29-2009 11:32 AM In reply to

1. Drink plenty of fluids, minimum: 8oz 8x day (water with lemon squeezed in is good)
    2. Allow nothing in vagina, no fingers, no tampons, no oral-genital contact, no penis, nothing whatsoever!
    3. Wear something loose-fitting with no panties.
    4. If you are leaking and need something for sitting, use clean towels fresh out of a hot dryer.
    5. Take your temperature every 3 hours while you are awake.
    6. Take 250mg Vit.C every 3 hours while you are awake.
    7. No baths. Shower as much as you like.
    8. Eat foods that are unconstipating and easy to digest.
    9. Be meticulous about toileting. Wipe from front to back.
    10. If the colour of the fluid changes from white or clear to green or brown, call your helper right away.

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog
  • 03-29-2009 9:02 PM In reply to

Thank you Gloria!  I lost my archives when my computer died.  May we pass this material on or is it copyrighted? 

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 06-19-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

Feel free to repost.  Gloria

my blog:  www.glorialemay.com/blog

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog
  • 06-19-2009 9:52 PM In reply to

We do all the above mentioned infection preventing techniques,as well as put mama onto raspberry tincture (much stronger than the tea although am not sure how easily accessible it is there?) and do some awesome pressure points showed to us by a dutch acupuncturist doula...specifically frequent massage of the inner ankle bone ....and spleen 6 i think is the "proper "name..its the one where you put 4 fingerbreaths above the inner anklebone, find the indent under the shin bone and press hard, you'll know it when you feel it, hurts like the blazes, but have had very effective contractions result...the last thing we occasionally have to do is debatable in most circles...but if we are faced with either resorting to a chemical induction al a OB style or this its the choice we make....perform VE and make sure that it was forewater rupture and not hindwater rupture...ive had hindwater ruptures that POURS out all day, not the usual dribble they usually are....if it is indeed a hindwater rupture, breaking the forewaters most often sends her into active labour... brings with it its own set of complications but is better than a chemical induction with the gynae in my opinion....

hope it all goes smoothly.

xxxxxxxx

• 06-22-2009 5:13 AM In reply to

Another endorsment for that Helios Childbirth kit, it is like a box of magic for real!

I gave a VERY depressed, floppy baby a 200c dose of aconite, held between his lower lip and gum, and within seconds he perked up and started crying.

Gave a mama a dose of secale for a retained placenta and within minutes she released and pushed it out, minimal bleeding.

Got sluggish labors going, stopped preterm contractions, repositioned babies, stopped hemorrhages, healed cracked nipples, you name it, that kit does it!

They also have an online course you can take for free when you buy the kit, as well as the booklet. I have used it numerous times with excellent results for all sort of situations that would have ended up in a transfer, it has become a very important part of my birth kit.

• 06-23-2009 6:38 AM In reply to

I can't find that this kit is available in the states. Anyone?  I guess one could assemble it themselves from the remedies listed and take the online course, etc.  Just wondering if it has a US distributor.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-23-2009 7:30 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

susan, try this linlk, same product;

http://www.homeopathykits.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CK

also, 1-800homeopathy has some good kits,

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/?rsource=google&rkeyword=1800homeopathy&gclid=CLqMk4bNoJsCFRFMagodhnEvBg

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-23-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

Thanks! 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.