in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

How do you protect yourself? (litigation/malpractice)

Last post 04-29-2009 11:06 AM by marlenecpm. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-11-2009 11:42 AM

How do you protect yourself? (litigation/malpractice)

Midwives how do you protect yourself from litigation and lawsuits? Do you carry malpractice insurance, why or why not? Are your assets of value in your SO/DH's name? Are your contacts set up in such a way that it protects you?

Thanks!

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-12-2009 9:46 PM In reply to

Re: How do you protect yourself? (litigation/malpractice)

Geeze,I must be a professional non worrier!  I have never carried malpractice ins.  I think the litigators will go for the deepest pockets.  Certainly not mine.  I don't have much so they would have to stand in line for the next time the money tree blooms!  It is thought that people sue because you treated them badly.  People don't seem to sue when they probably should have.  Always keep the lines of communication open.  Don't try to cover up a problem.  The others usually get tired[it is a lot of work wnd money to lidigate against someone.]  People who home birth and/or use a midwife are usually more educated in what could happen and are willing to take responsibility for their decisions.  If you work in an environment where it is more mainstream and you are worried about being sued,yes have all your stuff in a someone's name who you trust.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 03-13-2009 6:49 AM In reply to

I do not carry malpractice insurance.  The reason is that the women I serve are almost exclusively Mennonite and their religion absolutely forbids them to sue or even be involved in the judicial process.  That being said, even if this wasn't the case, I still wouldn't waste $10,000 or more each year on insurance because Home Birth Midwives are among the least likely to be sued because of the bond we have with the ladies we care for.  And, as Claudia so aptly put it--we generally aren't millionaires!  Joyce

• 04-29-2009 11:06 AM In reply to

Well, you can't get blood from a turnip. I don't have anything anyone else would want. If someone wants this blankity blank house, they can have it! I think someone is more likely to get sued if they have malpractice, so why invite it? Even if I wanted it (which I don't) I couldn't afford it, it would cost more per yr than I make! Besides, as I mature, I figure I won't be able to afford a nursing home, so letting uncle Sam pay for my retirement home (jail) sounds not so bad, after all. If I had anything to loose, I might think differently, but i don't know any rich midwives, do you? If so I'd like to know how!

Marlene 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.