in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

TTC at 42

Last post 03-19-2009 2:53 PM by Chamutal. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2009 3:54 AM

TTC at 42

Hello Ladies  - I'm excited to get started here on the forums - this is my first post! I am a mother of 2, my youngest is 16, I'm divorced and remarried and ttc again - any natural tips or suggestions to boost fertility at this age?

Thanx in advance

~Pam

• 03-01-2009 7:30 AM In reply to

Re: TTC at 42

Chart your cycle, that would be the first step to see if you are ovulating and to see how long your luteal phase is.

I suggest the book. Taking Charge of your fertility.

Good LUck!

Mary

• 03-14-2009 10:28 PM In reply to

Absolutely the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  And acupuncture/herbs with a good Chinese Medicine practitioner.

• 03-15-2009 2:11 AM In reply to

I would recommend taking a very close look at your diet and lifestyle.  In my experience, age is honestly not much of an issue depending on how you take care of yourself.  You are at a benefit in that you are in the preconception stage right now.  I second, third whatever the book recs too!

• 03-15-2009 2:14 AM In reply to

Thanx everyone - yes I am very healthy - trying Red raspberrry tree now, and ordered some homeopathic sepia - also just started reflexology.

Its hard to chart my cycles cuz they are irregular. I did try tho.

Thanx again.

• 03-15-2009 7:16 AM In reply to

Have your cycles always been irregular or just in the past few months or years?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-15-2009 9:22 AM In reply to

Pam,

Welcome to MT.  I'm with the other responses to your thread on this.  Highly recommend that you keep up your learning and researching with this and etc.  To me I found it extremely helpful and I somewhat lean the hard way.  Be sure to listen your own gut as well.  Hope to see you around here.

• 03-15-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

I was taking the Depo shot - last one in March of '08, Then decided to ttc - became pregnant right away, lost the baby in early Oct. and had a normal period in Dec. and Jan. then none in Feb. - took a preg. test it was neg. then started bleeding the day after I took the test, when my period was more then a week late.

Before the Depo was always regular.  

• 03-17-2009 9:22 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Pamelamarie,

I third the book 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility',  and accunpuncture can really help, also; plenty sleep, less stress. good whole foods, fresh air and exercise  and some herbs to consider in addition to RRL are chaste berry or Vitex and a liver support like Milk Thistle.  Those can help regulate your hormones and help your liver to be strong as that's where all the hormones get processed.  It may take a while for the Depo to really exit your system, so support may hasten that process.   Some women find results using royal bee jelly when they are ttc. I like chinese herbs too.  Sex is important.  Cut way back on caffeine.  Trust and visulization and loving your mate go a long way to bringing that new soul to you.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 03-17-2009 2:56 PM In reply to

The reason I asked about your cycles was that I found that my periods became irregular and weird in my forties (perimenopause). Is there a way to tell the diff between what the depo could be doing and what nature is doing? Anyone? 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-17-2009 3:41 PM In reply to

Yes, my cycles are too weird (I'm 45) Mostly I STILL ovulate but may have 8 week long cycles...weirdly...these long cycles happen with the season changes.

I would still chart, even with an irregular cycle for sure...you will still get valuable info.

Mary

• 03-19-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

I am much younger - only 36 but my cycles have never been regular. I think that in this situation, charting is even more important. It is a good way to know where you are at. When you take your temp you know if you have aready ovulated. If the temp is low, you know that you need to wait for a wet day while temp is still low... that is a good place to start... Also, you can take vitex OR soya isoflavones (but never both, as they contradict) personally if I were in your place I would chart and see what the luteal phase is like. If it is short, then vitex is probably best. If it is normal (11 days at least) but ovulation is irregular, then Isoflavones are probably a better choice.

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.