in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Registering as a midwife in Canada

Last post 12-29-2013 11:34 AM by becklyy. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2013 11:34 AM

• becklyy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-26-2013
    • Ireland
    • Posts 1

Registering as a midwife in Canada

Hi all

I'm new to this here. Well I am a student midwife in my final year in Ireland (yay!) and I'm hoping to go to Canada when I finish my degree. I've always wanted to go, regardless of my degree. I've heard so many great things about midwifery in Canada, which is an added bonus! Anyway, I just want to know does anyone know how an internationally trained midwife would go about registering over there?? I know they did that multi jurisdictional midwifery bridging programme thing but their website says they are "temporarily down" and I've tried emailing loads of times but no reply or they just bounce back. I've read recently that Manitoba are doing their own bridging programme (this is where I intend do go in Canada) but the only catch is you have to be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen to do so (that's what I gathered). I've also heard about the course you can do in Ryerson Uni in Toronto, I've emailed them and no reply. I'm just so lost and confused as to how I do this! Does any one have any sort of info? It would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Also, does anyone know if they look for midwives with a lot of experience? I'll be newly qualified. No jobs in Ireland and not that interested in going to the UK. Anyone in the same boat as me? I'd love to hear. I feel so lost! And confused! Would love to hear back from anyone! One more question (sorry).. any particular competencies that are needed in Canada? For example cannulating.. unfortunately in Ireland they don't train student nurses and midwives how to cannulate, I would have to do a course but would need to be in full employment.. Any info at all I'd be so greatful!

:-) B.

Becky
    Student midwife, 22
    Ireland
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.