in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

VBAC concern

Last post 07-02-2013 9:18 AM by midwifea. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2013 8:22 PM

• Nix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-02-2013
    • Posts 1

VBAC concern

Hi, long story short: over five years ago I had a c-section with my son. Then this past September, I went to my first ultrasound only to find out there was no heartbeat and the fetus had stopped developing around 7 or 8 weeks. My doctor gave me misoprostal to bring on the miscarriage as I had no symptoms. Needless to say, it turned out incomplete and I started bleeding again. I found out my doctor didn't give me enough but even after a second round with the misoprostal, I continued to bleed. I decided to try acupuncture instead of having a D&C. This finally did the trick! Now I am 26 weeks pregnant and really want to have a VBAC waterbirth. I already have a midwife who is completely behind my decision. However, I'm concerned the use of misoprostal for the miscarriage last fall will increase the chance of uterine rupture or if the danger was only when I ignorantly used it? Anyone have any knowledge or advice?

• 07-02-2013 9:18 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: VBAC concern

Hi NIx,

Congratulations!!  VBAC's are wonderful and you and your midwife have a lovely journey to pursue. I think you should trust your body at this point.  What's done is done and using misoprostol at 7 weeks is so different then at term.  Your uterus is doing a wonderful job.  It has responded to treatment and it has grown this new babe more than half way.  It know how to stay together and work well despite a scar.  Our bodies are amazing.  Your job is to trust, eat well, love this new babe and open open open when the time comes.  Your uterus has it's job and giving thanks to it for working so well is about the only thing needed.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein