in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Master Cleanse and Breastfeeding?

Last post 03-31-2009 2:57 PM by rojaza. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2009 7:07 AM

Master Cleanse and Breastfeeding?

Hello,

Over the last couple of years I have wanted to do a thorough cleansing of my colon.  For whatever reason, I didn't do it.  I got pregnant and now my baby is 13 months old and still nursing.  I have felt almost an urgency about the cleanse, so I have been looking into and preparing to do the Master Cleanse (Lemonade Diet).  My biggest concern is any "toxic" transfer into my milk.  As I have "Polled America" 50% say don't do it, 50% say do it.  Some expert has said that the breasts are not one of the eliminating organs, hence it would be safe. The basic routine goes like this:  

Daily starting with a saline flush--32 oz distilled water + 2 t sea salt, then throughout the day consuming  6-10 glasses of ---8 oz  water+2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice, 2T maple syrup, 1/10t cayenne, before bed a cup of Smooth Move tea (seena+ other herbs)

I wanted to check in here with you all to see if anyone has had any experience with this.  In my spare time :) I am going to get to the scientific study of all of this.  In the meantime I hoped to get insight and maybe even some scientific understanding from you "out there". 

THanks!

Laurel
    Happy wife of one fantastic husband
    Joyful mother of 8 wonderful children
    Psalm 111:4
  • 02-21-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

Re: Master Cleanse and Breastfeeding?

Personally, I think it would be just fine!

Mary

• 02-21-2009 11:31 AM In reply to

LLL doesn't recommend cleansing/detoxing the system while breastfeeding.  The biggest concern is the toxins that may be released into the milk and also if certain herbs are used, they can cause loose and watery stools in the nursling.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 02-21-2009 6:26 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

How often are you nursing?

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 02-21-2009 7:25 PM In reply to

Why do you feel the need to "cleanse" your colon?

• 02-21-2009 8:55 PM In reply to

I probably nurse 4 times a day.

It seems as though my "guts" are heavy.  For many years I have had trouble with constipation...lots of tries at lots of things...i am careful with my nutrition and am quite exercise conscious.  Recently, I have had some pain in my lowermost parts while in the bathroom--similar to hemorrhoid pain, but it's not the same (I don't think).  So, I was going to try to cleanse.

Keep the input coming.

Laurel
    Happy wife of one fantastic husband
    Joyful mother of 8 wonderful children
    Psalm 111:4
  • 02-23-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

On Dr. Hale's site, his concern was about the seena causing problems with the baby and recommended against Master Cleanse.  Again, you have to think of the age of the baby (a 2 yr old vs a 2 wk old), the health of the baby, etc.  I see that Master Cleanse seems to be the rage for Hollywood stars who are looking for a quick weight loss. Seems like Master Cleanse does the trick quickly for getting into those tight red carpet gowns.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 02-23-2009 2:36 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

How long would you do this? and is it in addition to your regular foods or is it like a fast with the abovementioned ingredients alone?  If it's a fast, I really wouldn't recommend it.  I'm afraid for your milk supply and your strength.  I'm not a professional, but I have studied a lot about herbs and contemplated several cleanses.  If I was facing surgery or something of the like, and this was the only natural remedy as opposed to the surgery, I might consider something more extreme like this while nursing.  4 times a day is still quite a bit to be nursing and doing a hardcore cleanse (which I would consider Master Cleanse to be).

I have done Enzymatic Therapy's Whole Body Cleanse twice while nursing (two of my babies).  They were nursing only about twice a day.  I did a pretty thorough check on all the herbs and they were all considered safe while breastfeeding.  Some of them, in fact, were very beneficial (milk thistle and fenugreek, etc).  And the laxative was magnesium based, and very gentle.  Neither of my babies suffered any ill effects while I did this and I did feel pretty good afterwards.

I think Enzymatic Therapy also has just a Colon Cleanse.  Can't vouch for those ingredients, though.  I've never looked at it.

I recently did a gall bladder flush (curezone.com) by Hulda Clark for some gall bladder problems that came up really suddenly.  So I'm not a firm adherent to the "don't cleanse at all while breastfeeding" rule.  Depending on the circumstances and the nature/makeup of the cleanse, it can be done, in my opinion.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 02-23-2009 9:43 PM In reply to

I take a very minimal approach to cleansing. Our bodies are incredible, which I am sure all of us in the birthing community recognize. Not only are our bodies able to grow, nuture, and birth a child, it is also capable of cleansing itself. I am a budding herbalist and have done a lot of studying under Susun Weed and the HerbMentor community, and I have learned that our blood volume replaces and cleanses itself in about 4 months!! If you concentrate on putting only good things in your body, then it will naturally cleanse itself.  By putting in optimal nutrition, we are strengthening our bodies even more. We always talk about how obstetrics hurries the birth process along, but we also do the same with our bodies and its other functions.

LOL, but I do understand how hard it can be! I am a mama of two, a college student, a birth activist in my town, and a doula, I am not the best at filling my body with the optimal food. But this is something that we should all do for ourselves, which will in turn enable us to take care of  the ones who have entrusted us with their trust while birthing. If you feel like you need a faster cleanse, I would do something that is a little more gentle. The master cleanse is just what it sounds like. I worked in a health food store for 2 years and I have seen a lot of people who have tried the master cleanse, but never seen anyone who has finished it. It just wiped them out and left them so weak (which would not be ideal for a nursing mama) Good luck! I hope that this gives you a little encouragement.

Amy Townsend
    AAMI #1935
  • 03-31-2009 2:57 PM In reply to

This is from awhile ago...any chance for an update?

I have completed one short term (10 days) by-the-book MC and found it to be an amazing experience.  I had incredible energy and felt fantastic.  It was very challenging, however, and I would not recommend it while breastfeeding.  There will inevitably be some detox  and I don't see how this could NOT affect breastmilk (I am no expert by any means...just going by how I could feel my body burning reserves for fuel, etc).  There are lots of gentle cleanses that would be safe while breastfeeding but won't tax your body to the same extent.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.