in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Random question about starting the info packet for the NARM & starting as a midwifery student...

Last post 04-22-2013 12:57 AM by BirthwithLiz. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2013 7:03 PM

Random question about starting the info packet for the NARM & starting as a midwifery student...

Probably a weird/random question, but those of you who have taken or are working towards taking the NARM, how did you keep track of everything and keep it all organized? Do you have any organization tips for keeping track of everything (both NARM-wise and just general stuff like receipts, mileage, etc). Im just starting as a student and am kinda nervous about keeping track of everything! lol

• 02-28-2013 10:59 AM In reply to

Re: Random question about starting the info packet for the NARM & starting as a midwifery student...

I got a chart that has the two prongs at the top and kept all my NARM paperwork organized in that, and filled things out as I went. I've also seen gals use binders with divider tabs to keep it all organized. Making spreadsheets for prenatals, assists, primary births, newborn exams and postpartums can help you keep track of all your experience. I keep track of my mileage in my planner. I jot down the mileage on the day I drive it and then tally it each month. I have a pocket in my planner for receipts as well, and keep a separate checkbook register for business expenses etc. Hope these suggestions help!

• 03-11-2013 8:04 AM In reply to

Re: Random question about starting the info packet for the NARM & starting as a midwifery student...

I started my practice long before there was a CPM process, so gathering my needed info was a real challenge for me. I had spent years "covering my tracks". Now I had to find these lost footprints.

I had been keeping a notebook with birth stories, which quickly consolidated into a numbered one line entry for each birth; Name, birth date, wt, position at birth, who all attended, whether they tore, & any other unusual findings, like, waterbirth, repeat client, VBAC, birth defects, etc. I also keep index cards for each of my current clients in my purse at all times. It has the name, address direction, phone # & blood type on the front & a synopsis of all prenatal care on the back.
    Keeping a tab-indexed notebook is one good way to keep track. Keeping a folder for each client is another. Having the CPM study guide will help you know what things they think its important to keep track of, & what's not. Daphne Singtree's, "Midwives Workbook" can also help keep pertinent info in a organized manner.

• 04-22-2013 12:57 AM In reply to

I bought a cheap mileage logbook from Walmart. 

For keeping track of experience, I have a form that a friend shared with me.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.