in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Looking for CNM program - any advice appreciated!

Last post 01-12-2013 5:54 PM by wildyarrow. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2013 1:22 PM

Looking for CNM program - any advice appreciated!

Hi everyone! I have my BA in Psychology and am now looking for a CNM program (I am 99% sure I'm wanting to take the CNM route as opposed to the CPM route). To my understandin, it is not necessary for all CNM programs to be an RN first, is this incorrect?

Does anyone have any input as to good programs in Texas? I have found some but would really appreciate hearing from educated and experienced midwives what their thoughts are on these programs. 

Also, are online programs worth considering? I would really prefer classes I go to but am seeing this option as well.

Thanks so much! :)

• 01-12-2013 5:54 PM In reply to

Re: Looking for CNM program - any advice appreciated!

More and more programs are going toward online formats - so even classroom based programs will have a significant portion of the coursework online. Just one thing to think about when considering your education.

Frontier Nursing University has a distance-based program for nurse-midwifery. You must have an RN to attend this program. With your Bachelor's degree, you'd be eligible to apply through the portfolio process.

Philadephia University has an option to complete a Masters in Midwifery without first becoming an RN. This program also has the traditional CNM route. Those who enter midwifery through this non-nurse route take the same credentialing exam as CNMs but their credential is the CM. CMs are not recognized in all states (though I hope if more midwives become CMs, this might change).

I would say online programs are worth considering, definitely. Both Frontier and PhilaU are distance-based programs with only a couple of visits required to the campus. Keep in mind that clinical experiences are where you learn most of your skills - and those will be done in your own community regardless even if you're doing online academic work.

Some programs have an accelerated RN portion tacked on the beginning of the advanced practice nursing program. It is very expensive to do it this way - but it is expedient. Non-nurses with Bachelor's degrees in other fields are admitted to a graduate nursing school - the first year or 15 months is the RN completion, you take your RN boards, then zip onto the advanced practice nurse courses. Usually takes 3 years. It's more expensive than getting an associates degree in nursing because you're paying for graduate credit ($700-1000/credit) for the RN portion.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.