in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Possible failure to thrive issues, need wisdom please

Last post 09-12-2013 9:49 PM by Brandon_Roth. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2012 11:07 PM

• kcstark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2012
    • Germany
    • Posts 3

Possible failure to thrive issues, need wisdom please

Good morning!  I hope this is in the right forum.  I am a student doula, midwife wannabee, and lactation consultant located in Germany.  I have a new mother, second child, two weeks old, solely breastfed.  Delivery was amazing, Mom is doing great however I have a question regarding loss of birthweight of newborn and lack of regain at two weeks.  I have been working with her to make sure successful breastfeeding is an option.

With first son, had inverted nipple issues, breastfed successfully for well over a year using a shield.  Mom's milk has come in and has a good latch, baby is feeding well, 15-20 mins at a time, every 1.5-3 hours.  7-10 wet diapers 4-6 poopy diapers daily.  Birthweight 7'15.  Still under birthweight at two weeks at 7'10.  Mom is using the Mother's Milk Tea and other options to increase production and quality.  She had a fairly busy schedule at first, felt great, has scaled it back considerably as we thought that perhaps that was interfereing with quality issues.  Has just begun skin to skin while feeding.  She is optomistic but is beginning to get discouraged.

German doctors are a little more laid back than American but are beginning to get nervous about his weight and are talking about supplementing.  Advice is welcome.

Thank you,
    Cheryl Stark

Cheryl A. Stark
  • 12-05-2012 8:53 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Possible failure to thrive issues, need wisdom please

Welcome Cheryl,

It sounds as if you have helped this mama immensely.  You guys are doing all the right things.  But sometimes, in spite of everyone doing all the correct procedures a baby will fall outside of our normal expectations! If babe has adequate wet and poopy diapers, sleeps well and has good latch, I would not advise supplementing.  Regain of birth weight at 2 weeks is optimum but I have seen some babes not hit that for 3 weeks and then sail on and be right in that silly curve.  Has he started to come up from a lower weight? Was all well with the newborn screening?  Give it another week.  Have mama eat well, lots of good fats and tell her to smile and relax.  Her babe is just one of those guys outside of the normal curve.  Our best intentions sometimes discount the ones who are a little off from the masses.  If all looks good I like to remind mamas and papas that a good indicator for a healthy weight is baby doubling ( or more) his or her birth weight by 6 months..

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 12-05-2012 9:06 AM In reply to

• kcstark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2012
    • Germany
    • Posts 3

Hi April,

Thank you for your message.  I appreciate the time that you took to share your wisdom.  I will pass that along to her and as it is always the mama's choice in the end, I think she will also appreciate the encouragement of your words.  She is definitely a committed breastfeeder and will go to all ends to ensure that she is doing all she is capable of doing before calling in the big guns.

Many blessings,

Cheryl

Cheryl A. Stark
  • 09-12-2013 9:49 PM In reply to

I realise wisdom in your story and appreciate your spirit .

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.