in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Looking for an traveling midwife

Last post 05-22-2013 9:14 PM by Rose. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2012 8:51 AM

• Sumaya
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2012
    • Posts 3

Looking for an traveling midwife

Hi everyone!

I am a doula working in Cairo Egypt and I desperately want to encourage home births, however in Egypt it is impossible to find a midwife. There is a mother who wants to have a home birth and I am asking whether anyone is willing to come to Cairo to deliver her baby. It is really short notice, she is due in 1 month, but i would appreciate any information.

Thanks!

• 11-24-2012 1:59 PM In reply to

Re: Looking for an traveling midwife

Did you find anyone? I wish I had come across this sooner. For the future here is my email: gomidwife@yahoo.com

• 01-14-2013 8:43 AM In reply to

• kimyan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-30-2010
    • France
    • Posts 3

Hello Sumaya,

I just read your post and hope the mother you wrote about had a good birth.

I am a CPM based in France but willing to travel for births. Egypt is where my father 's from and I have been trying to learn arabic to be able to go back there. I would definitely consider coming if you meet any other woman wanting a homebirth there.

I speak fluent french and spanish, in case you come across some expats. It is so thrilling to hear that doula work is happening in Egypt and I would love to hear more about your journey as a doula and how it is to doula in Egypt.

To all traveling midwives:

Is there a network of traveling midwives? Could we identify each other and be in touch? I know quite a bit about european laws, paths to become a midwife and conditions of birth and that can be helpful, I am sure some of you, sister midwives, know a lot as well about the countries you have visited, perhaps about other parts of the world too. I would love to jump in such network, if it exists, or help set one up.

my email is gypsyhum@yahoo.com

Happy, serene and constructive new year

Kim

• 01-16-2013 2:05 AM In reply to

• Sumaya
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2012
    • Posts 3

Hello Kim,
    Its really nice to hear from you. Your email has come at the perfect time. Soraya (Who is a client) and i were just about to embark on the journey of finding a Midwife for her. She is in her 26th week and is looking to have a home birth. I would love to put you both in touch so that you can see how it might work for you both, if she feels comfortable with you etc.... 
    I would also love to set up either a Skype date or google Hang out with the three of us and that way we could maybe get to know each other a little more and answer each other questions a little better. 
    I will send you a private message about how my doula endeavours in Egypt are going.
    I hope we get to speak soon, all three of us
    Sumaya
    P.S Soraya kindly created a doodle for us so that we can arrange a meeting :) 

• 01-16-2013 2:23 PM In reply to

• kimyan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-30-2010
    • France
    • Posts 3

Hello Sumaya,

This is quite serendipitous!! Lovely when things happen that way...

I just responded on doodle. 

Let me know if this is confirmed on my private email and give me your skype name.

I look forward to our meeting.

Beautiful day to you two,

Kim

• 01-20-2013 4:49 AM In reply to

• Sumaya
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2012
    • Posts 3

Hi Kim,

we are excited to meet you at 4:00pm egyptian time. I dont have your private email for some reason. We were wondering if we could all meet on Google hang out. Do you have gmail? That way us three can speak together

Sumaya

• 05-22-2013 9:14 PM In reply to

• Rose
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-15-2012
    • Posts 2

Hello

My name is Rose and I am a midwife working with a non-profit maternity center in the Philippines that provides care for the women here with no cost to the patient. I recently traveled to Egypt (April of 2012) to attend a birth for a family living there. I wonder if the family you were posting about was able to find a homebirth midwife?

I love this thread and the idea of traveling midwifery for those in need of a gentle women centered birth. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.