in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

oven sterilization Q

Last post 10-07-2012 11:34 AM by marlenecpm. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-16-2009 2:02 AM

• Adrienne
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 35

oven sterilization Q

just got back from amazing Peru trip and was re-organizing my birth gear tonight.

prepared to sterilize an instrument pack in the oven as I have done in the past.  I have used the plastic & paper sealable packs on a cookie sheet before with no problems.  always include a pan of water. 

well tonight there was a slightly scorchy smell, and the plastic was starting to adhere....ew.  

does anyone have any tips for me?  maybe not using those particular packets in the oven?  I am perplexed.  Time to get out the pressure cooker?

• 02-16-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: oven sterilization Q

What temp was the oven on? Was it too hot? I have never had a problem, but I do it around 250 degrees or so. I always have the pan of water on the bottom rack and the instruments on the rack above it, set it at 250 and leave them for about 2 hours or so.

just a mom and a midwife
  • 02-16-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

Oh, and if you wanted to not use those packets, you could use surgical towels or even paper lunch bags instead.

just a mom and a midwife
  • 02-16-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

yeah, i use surgical towels - and like them a lot.  I use two towels for each instrument pack.  i find that they're less noisy to unwrap during birth.  :)

Pamela Hines-Powell
    Midwife
    Salem, Oregon

www.SalemMidwife.com
    www.pamamidwife.com
  • 02-16-2009 10:09 PM In reply to

pamela.midwife:

yeah, i use surgical towels - and like them a lot.  I use two towels for each instrument pack.  i find that they're less noisy to unwrap during birth.  :)

How do you fold them? Any special way or do you just wrap them up?

I am interested in switching over to this, but I need to buy more surgical towels first.

just a mom and a midwife
  • 02-17-2009 7:14 AM In reply to

hotwings640:

pamela.midwife:

How do you fold them? Any special way or do you just wrap them up?

I am interested in switching over to this, but I need to buy more surgical towels first.

I'm interested too... for now I've been doing a towel wrapped in foil but it is sooo loud unwrapping it and I hate to throw away the foil but also hate to bring it home since it might have birth fluids on it.  Do you use that tape?  Seems like I've seen tape somewhere for that...

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 02-19-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

Hotwings640-

Tell me about your paper lunch bag technique.

Thanks

Laurel
    Happy wife of one fantastic husband
    Joyful mother of 8 wonderful children
    Psalm 111:4
  • 02-19-2009 5:02 PM In reply to

bigmama:

Hotwings640-

Thanks

Sure! I double bag in brown paper lunch sacks and then sterilize the same way that you do with the pouches (250 for a few hours with a pan of water and some of that sterilizer tape stuff to make sure it is sterilized). The reason I do double bag is so that if I am opening these by myself without an assistant, I can keep sterile technique. I can open the outside bag, put on my sterile gloves and then the inside bag I can open because it is sterile. I hope my thought process makes sense.

just a mom and a midwife
  • 02-19-2009 8:31 PM In reply to

Thank you.

Laurel
  • 02-21-2009 11:43 PM In reply to

Hi

I have found this discussion interesting.  My sterilisaton practice for the past 15or so years has been to wash the instruments well, boil them for at least 10 minutes, wrap in clean cotton cloth then cook in the oven (150C) for at least 1 hour.  Put in a paper bag afterwards.  My basic instruments are cord scissors, metal cord clamps and larger scissors that could be used for episiotomy, though I can't remember when I last used them.  The cord clamps are redundant too, from the days when we used to check for cord after the birth of the head - can't remember when I last did that either.  Now the cord doesn't get tought about until after the placenta has been birthed.  How things have changed!

By way of an introduction, I am a homebirth midwife in Melbourne Australia.  I gave birth to 3 of my children in Lansing MI in the 70s,  so I feel as though I still have a bit of a link with birth in the USA.

Joy
  • 02-22-2009 5:41 AM In reply to

So glad for you to join us.

Thanks for passing on your technique.

Big Smile

Laurel
  • 02-22-2009 6:58 AM In reply to

hotwings640:

bigmama:

Hotwings640-

Thanks

Sure! I double bag in brown paper lunch sacks and then sterilize the same way that you do with the pouches (250 for a few hours with a pan of water and some of that sterilizer tape stuff to make sure it is sterilized). The reason I do double bag is so that if I am opening these by myself without an assistant, I can keep sterile technique. I can open the outside bag, put on my sterile gloves and then the inside bag I can open because it is sterile. I hope my thought process makes sense.

I love this idea!  I'm going to try it as soon as my sterilization tape arrives (with the digital hemoglobin analyzer I ordered-yay!)... previously I've boiled washed instruments for 20 minutes, wrapped them in a clean cloth, and then wrapped that in two layers of foil tightly folded- baked at 250 for 2 hours with a pan of water.

I hate wasting the foil... and paper just seems nicer somehow. 

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-16-2009 7:43 AM In reply to

For the folding of the surgical towels, I just lay out all the instruments in the middle or the end of the open towel.  Then I bring down the top fold to the middle, then the bottom fold up, and roll them to the end.  I do the same with the second towel.

Pamela Hines-Powell
    Midwife
    Salem, Oregon

www.SalemMidwife.com
    www.pamamidwife.com
  • 07-09-2012 11:06 AM In reply to

• Emzash
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2012
    • Posts 1

I don't know what sterilization tape is! Explain? Also has anyone tried sterilization tubing? Do you know how it seals? and if it's safe for ovens?

• 08-20-2012 10:12 AM In reply to

Emzash:

I don't know what sterilization tape is! Explain? Also has anyone tried sterilization tubing? Do you know how it seals? and if it's safe for ovens?

I have the tubing.  It does not seal on it's own, I just use the tape; which is basically like masking tape that changes color when sterilized.  I use both in my oven and it works fine, though it's not my first choice for sterilization.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.