in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Labor? Contractions?

Last post 11-02-2011 4:42 AM by worstfriend. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-28-2011 8:02 PM

Labor? Contractions?

This is my second pregnancy. and with my first I went to 6 1/2 cm on the couch and didnt realize I was even in labor. I saw my midwife today and she had to do the routine strep B culture and while doing so she stripped my membranes. She checked my cervix and it was 75% effaced and 1 cm dialted. She also has be taking black cohosh. to help speed things along. Now that she has done all this it seems to me that the contractions have stopped.I also would like to know how much black cohosh can I be taking a day (pill) for 528 mg.

Please let me know how long you think it will be before the baby's arrival and how much cohosh I can take to help things speed up!!

• 10-29-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Labor? Contractions?

Primm2010,

May I ask, is there a health concern for you or baby that requires you get labor going now?  How many weeks are you?  Was there a reason your caregiver stripped your membranes?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 10-29-2011 6:37 PM In reply to

I had to have surgery when I was 21 weeks pregnant, and my lower back has been an ongoing issue that is why they are helping speed things along. I have an induction date set for 39 weeks but the midwife and I agree that its safe to have this little boy. I am about 36 weeks along.

• 11-02-2011 4:42 AM In reply to

I don't know about black cohosh.

If you have an induction booked why try to hurry things along, you know you dilate fast and easy so an induction will probably not be too hard on you?

Not sure how your MW can know a 36weeker is fully ready to nurse and breathe - google late-term prematurity.  I'd hang on another week, by the sounds of things you'll go early anyway.  Better an extra week in the womb than in NICU, right?

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.