in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

BAI or ALACE/IBWP for CBE training

Last post 10-24-2012 8:18 AM by Brlnbabies. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-07-2011 10:36 AM

BAI or ALACE/IBWP for CBE training

I would love to hear from anyone who has completed or is enrolled in the childbirth education training at Birth Arts International or ALACE/IBWP I am considering enrolling. 

• 08-13-2011 11:50 AM In reply to

Re: BAI or ALACE/IBWP for CBE training

it's so interesting that you posted this. i looked into ALACE/IBWP and thought it sounded great...program developed by midwives, holistic, distance-friendly, payment plan, etc. i contacted them to tell them i was interested and heard back from them right away. everything seemed very professional and legit. i sent in my $300 downpayment and faxed in my paperwork. i was told that i would receive my CBE manual in approximately 10 days. it is now one month and 2 days later and i still haven't received my manual. i've tried calling them to see if they could tell me when the manual was shipped, or when it was due to be shipped, and also for clarification if the manual was to ship after i made all of my payments. no one seems to answer the phone when i call. i've left several messages and no one has returned any of my calls. i've emailed several times and can't get anyone to reply...yet they were so quick to reply when i was interested in signing up. i refuse to make another payment until i get some answers from them. i am so upset and frustrated. i feel that i have been duped and scammed and have just dumped 300 bucks down the toilet. i am also a student midwife and i pay for my school monthly...i don't have a lot of extra cash lying around. i've been looking into other CBE options but it'll be a little while until i can save up some more money for them. one of the other programs i've been looking into is BAI...another is pure birth. i don't know what to do, but if i were you...i would steer clear of ALACE/IBWP. maybe others have had more positive experiences with them. i would love to hear what others' experiences have been like with them. i guess i thought they were highly reputable and professional....but i guess i was wrong!

hope this helps and is not too late for you!

-jessica

• 08-13-2011 2:55 PM In reply to

I'm so sorry to hear that. I have heard that they are very under-staffed so it might just be that, but one month with repeated attempts to contact them and not a word back? hmmm. I wrote to them recently (about a month ago) inquiring about their program and they got back to me right away. I have heard of people who have completed their program and were very happy with it. I wonder what's going on. Thank you for the heads up. I am also a midwifery student. I am enrolled in the National Midwifery Institute and am just beginning the program even though I enrolled years ago! (i had two babies right after I enrolled). So I am debating weather or not to even enroll in a CBE program at all. My preceptor thinks that the information would be very redundant and that I should just focus on one midwifery school but I like the idea of getting certified and the feeling of having completed something (which I am not gonna get from midwifery school any time soon!)

I am also interested in BAI. It looks really supportive. I like how they have skype interactions with instructors and online presentations. Good luck and please let me know what ends up happening with ALACE/IBWP. Hope they either give you your money back or send you that curriculum soon!

• 08-22-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

Did you hear from them yet?

I wrote to them and told them my concerns about enrolling in their program and told them your story. This is what they wrote back to me:

"Hello Maya,

This is not a common occurance but sometimes does happen with the high delievery volume and with our members being located in so many parts of the world. Being that our offices our currently understaffed as we restructure the program and endeavor to maintain the true vision of ALACE in providing the best quality of CBE training at the most affordable cost, we do at times fall behind on replying membership concerns. We regret this shortcoming and continue to work at improving in this very crucial area. Our members,however, have never had to worry about losing their money; fact, we make every effort to save our members money, as our number one priority is to deliever this training to as many people as possible! So if you'd like to know more about the IBWP CBE program we can certainly send you info to make the best decision possible for you and your career goals!"
    I hope they have contacted you by now. Please let me know if they haven't!
    Thanks,
    Maya

• 10-19-2012 9:10 PM In reply to

• Lisa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-20-2012
    • Posts 1

I guess I'm a little late coming into this conversation but I am just now discovering what an illigitemately run business ALACE / IBWP is.  I recently signed up for thier CBE course, payed the $300 deposit plus 2 installments of $100 ea., and have not heard back from anyone.  I have submitted 2 modules of coursework.  The first one was never graded and the 2nd came back as undeliverable.  The e-mail I sent came back as undeliverable as well.  I have left 3 voice messages to no avail.  The online support group they advertise is non-existent.  The only time they have reached out to me was when I inquired into the program, and they were quick to take my deposit.  Their syllabus promises unlimited phone, Internet, and peer support, of which I have had NONE.  I am sorely disappointed, as their program sounded so wonderful and just what I was looking for as an aspiring midwife.  I am almost finished with module 3 of 8 and at this point I am wondering if all my efforts are not going to be in vain?  I even left a message saying that if I didn't hear from SOMEONE within 2 days I was going to take it to the Better Business Bureau, and still nothing.  I would highly recommend finding another course!  If anyone has had any positive experience recently I would love to hear it, as I am feeling quite discouraged at this point.

• 10-24-2012 8:18 AM In reply to

You may want to check in with Informed Beginnings (www.informedbeginnings.org).  This is the only childbirth educator co-operative in the country--the educators pay into the organization and have a say in how the organization is run.  Unfortunately, there are some childbirth ed organizations out there that are shakey and some that are downright shady.  Informed Beginnings started from a bunch of us who were led down a shady path so members are especially conscientious of everything being totally above board.  There is also a mentoring program for new teachers so they aren't just thrown out there to teach; they have guidance.  Check 'em out!

Although the Better Business Bureau will take your complaint, if you have not received the services you paid for, you may be better off filing a complaint with the state's attorney general's office.  This is what some of us had to do to recover the funds we paid into  a childbirth ed organization and received nothing in return.  And if you paid with a credit card, you may be able to recover your money through the credit card company by doing a fraud claim.  Again, this is the route some had to take with the organization I'm talking about--the shady one, not InfoBe.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.