in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

direct-entry programs

Last post 07-25-2009 6:59 PM by MotherNurtured. 61 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-24-2009 1:29 PM In reply to

Re: direct-entry programs

I live in a state which just recently became legal for CPMs.  When I started apprenticing, ther were no CPMs in my area, so I started working with local underground DEMs.  For those of us in illegal states - I saw a poster from Chicago -, getting your CPM is still a possibility.  You must have a CPM or a legal preceptor to attend a distance MEAC school.  There was a homebirth doctor in my area who was precepting a NCM student for example.  Or, you may do the PEP process without attending a MEAC - or any other - school. Your preceptor must have been primary w/o supervision for a minimum of 50 births.

Its a difficult and piecemeal process - what has helped me is involvement with my local and statewide midwifery organizations.  Everyone is scrambling to get their CPM and the support is really helpful.

I am closing in on my CPM now through a combo of low-volume apprenticeship, Casa internship, some community college classes, AAMI (which I do not love) and about a million reading and research hours.  I really do wish I could have attended a MEAC school.  I fear that MEAC will be a requirement for liscencure either federally or in my state and after all this time I would hate to start over!  I also am also one who thinks some educational standardization and accountability would not be a bad thing.

• 07-25-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

Re: direct-entry programs

MotherNurtured:

I am studying through AAMI and apprenticing simultaneously.... I am VERY happy with this path. 

Well... I can say six months later that I still like AAMI but if I could do it over again I would go with a program like NCM.  The legislation that almost passed in my state last year was going to require a MEAC education for new students (basically grandfathering in current CPMs and those almost finished).  What if more states follow this trend and I want to move somewhere else in a few years?   

calendula:

I am closing in on my CPM now through a combo of low-volume apprenticeship, Casa internship, some community college classes, AAMI (which I do not love) and about a million reading and research hours.  I really do wish I could have attended a MEAC school.  I fear that MEAC will be a requirement for liscencure either federally or in my state and after all this time I would hate to start over!  I also am also one who thinks some educational standardization and accountability would not be a bad thing.

I agree.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
Page 5 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.