in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Accessing info on ACOG/AAP protocols and studies

Last post 02-16-2009 3:09 AM by ForOurFuture. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2009 2:07 AM

Accessing info on ACOG/AAP protocols and studies

How do I find information on what current ACOG and AAP protocols are and the most up-to-date studies? Is my only option to somehow find a way to get a membership through them? When I looked up info on their sites it seems you have to be a physician or hospital practicing midwife to be able to access their information and membership is pretty spendy. I would love to be able to access that information.

• 02-04-2009 5:13 AM In reply to

Re: Accessing info on ACOG/AAP protocols and studies

You might consider getting ACOG's Compendium of Selected Publications.  It's a large catalog of all their statements and protocols published yearly.  It must cost over $100 now, but you might be able to get last year's compendium at a discounted rate on a used book website.  I got mine by asking an OB friend to order it for me, it cost $75 less if you belong to ACOG, but I think you can still order one if you aren't a member.

• 02-11-2009 10:55 PM In reply to

This is such nonsense.  I think that ACOG standards should be open and free to the public. 

At a doula birth I attended recently, a resident insisted that something my client asked for was against ACOG standards, but when pressed for the actually standards, the resident could produce nothing.  How can birthing women be expected to just go along with these rules and regulations if they are not even privy to them?

• 02-14-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

• Lennon
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Salem, OR
    • Posts 5

What I find ridiculous is that ACOG is essentially a trade organization!!!!  Why are the docs (and birth community in general) allowing what ACOG says to determine anything?

After all, according to ACOG, homebirth is a dangerous, risky thing.  Confused

I'm not trying to put down the OP's question....I think it is very valuable and interesting to see what exactly ACOG is telling it's docs.  I also agree that they should be more transparent.....but this is ACOG we are talking about, one of the oldest 'old boys' clubs there are in the USA.

~Mother to River and one gestating baby coming this summer~
    Homebirth Midwife
    www.motherbabymidwifery.com
  • 02-15-2009 12:48 AM In reply to

I agree. I don't like the idea of even really looking into these protocols, but at the same time I'm very curious and would like to be receiving the same information as they do so that I feel more prepared when discussing topics with "them."

I don't think I could bring myself to actually give them money though for the information. There has to be another way around this?!?!

• 02-16-2009 3:09 AM In reply to

Lennon, I agree with you 100%, but when in a situation where a medical provider is telling my client such and such I want to have the facts.  If I knew exactly what ACOG stated, then I would be "armed" with information to fight the system a little better.

The other thing I don't get is why are the hospital policies and ACOG policies not the same if there is so much reliance on what ACOG tells their members to do?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.