in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

A long year without MT

Last post 05-15-2009 10:54 PM by azores. 102 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

Re: A long year without MT

That's so funny Facebook Virgin is a GREAT name for a band!

Yea, I'm a young'in...I can barely run my VCR

Mary

• 02-28-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

Congrats on your new baby, and your new job! 

Excellent!

Mary

• 02-28-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

Thrilled to have found you!

Mary

• 02-28-2009 7:06 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Welcome back waterbaby/ Dawn/ scientistmom!  Great to see you back.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 03-01-2009 1:12 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-29-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

WELCOME back Emily & Dawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the birth of your new baby!!!!!

Way to go breastfeeding for 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 03-03-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

Ooo, this is so fancy!  Hi, I'm the old Mom2B - I thought I should go with a new name since I'm definately a mom now.  It has been quite a year for me, and I'm really just now finding my new identity.  My 3rd baby was born 11/07.  It was a fantastic homebirth - very easy.  I was planning an unassisted birth, until I had a dream which told me I needed to hire a midwife.  I obeyed, and it was a good thing I did.  Unfortunately, Juju was born completely limp and unresponsive.  His heart was beating, but he was not breathing.  Juju suffered a brain injury which has resulted in cerebral palsy and neurological vision impairment.  The funny thing is that DH and I have more peace about this birth than either of my other births.  We feel that he gave him the best birth possible.  We also feel pretty firmly that we are DONE.  We would not feel comfortable planning a hospital birth, but we feel like our family would be so anxious about any other scenario that they would drive us crazy.  We are contemplating adoption in the future.  I really would like dh to get "snipped", but he won't discuss it.  It's kind of a weird situation - on one hand I feel more comfortable with birth than any time in my life; on the other hand I'm terrified of ever having to go through another pregnancy and birth.

Anyway, when I say I'm finding a new identity, I'm just starting to realize that I have been called to be a healer.  I have always been attracted to holistic medicine and like to dable with it, but I guess I never put a whole lot of faith in its ability to heal major issues.  When we first brought Juju home, I kept looking to western medicine for direction.  I was shocked to find that they really had nothing to offer.  The sent me home with a screaming, colicky, brain injured infant, and told me "good luck, you've already had your miracle".  It's been quite an emotional roller coaster.  I now spend a large chunk of my day engaging in therapies to heal my child.  At first I think there was a lot of fear holding me back - I was fearful of being guilty of holding on to false hope, of being disappointed in the future.  But I'm starting to step out in faith and believe that the holistic medicine I've been so drawn too all these years really does have the potential to restore health in large measurable ways.  I hope I can use this experience and information I'm gaining to help others down the road.

I'm still herding goats and getting to do my little midwife stint with them.  I miss most of the births and arrive in time to help with clean up - which is probably how it should be.  I have a couple goats that desire more human support and invite me to their births.  Sometimes I see things that shock me - like the doe who recently started eating her placenta while it was still partially attached to her uterus!!  (But it makes sense; it detached right away after she started doing that.)  My farm blog is www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.com - there's some goat baby pictures there.

I'm mourning my youth a little - I just turned 30.  I know it's silly, but I've had to let go of any illusion of still being a kid.  I have alot of responsibilities now.  I know those older than me, probably still see me as a kid.  But from my perspective, 30 feels alot heavier than 20. Smile

It's nice "seeing" you all again! Geeked

• 03-04-2009 7:04 AM In reply to

Hi mom to be, I'm glad you found your way back to us! Congrats on your birth, it sounds like you have been going through some life changing events.

Mary

• 03-04-2009 7:34 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Bluefish (Mom2B),

I had wondered how your little boy is doing, look forward to hearing more about his progress, and how your family is doing. 

I saw the pictures of your goats on you farm blog.  How cute!!  I see you have chickens too.  That's something we're interested in for the future as well.  Right now we're gearing up for a huge garden revamp and putting raised veggie beds and also perennials like asparagus, berry bushes, and next year, fruit trees.  Its almost like having a mini farm over here.  I really enjoy growing things, though....plants and babies alike.  :-)  We're going for one more baby and then I'll just have to be content growing plants and helping other women as they grow their babies.

Do you know what venue you might explore for practicing a healing art/s? 

I'm not quite to 30 yet, but I'm getting there and I think I'll feel much as  you do when I reach that point.  :-)  My husband reached it last year and he says lately that he feels his age.  

Well, good to see you back.  Here's to lots of great times.

RobsGirl, 31

• 03-04-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

RobsGirl:
    Do you know what venue you might explore for practicing a healing art/s? 

I don't know exactly.  Right now we are throwing everything at Juju.  I know the most about aromatherapy, and I've been using EOs on Juju.  Working with nutrition - he's had some feeding issues (oral motor issues) and chronic constipation.  We are doing hyperbaric oxygen treatments, occupational therapy, physical therapy (Feldenkrais), speech therapy, and vision therapy.  Massage, chiropractic and cranial sacral.  A little music therapy.  We used a little homeopathy.  It's a full time job just helping him (thankfully we have respite care now).  I don't know where the road will take us, but I feel I'm not learning all this to just keep it to myself.  One thing I envision is writing a book some day.

Juju is 15 months.  He can roll all ways except off his back.  He has some head control but not total.  He has some brief seizures and has to take meds for that.  He has a neurological vision impairment - we're not sure exactly what he sees or doesn't see.  It is very hard for him to use his hands.  He's also very smart.  He learns cognitive tasks quickly.  He isn't speaking yet, but I have hope that he will as his oral motor skills improve.  He does eat orally and always has (as opposed to with a tube) - which is huge.  Despite his healthy issues, he is quite healthy - doesn't suffer colds and stuff.  He said "mom" the other night.  He's tall and thin, and very handsome. Big Smile

Nice seeing all these familiar names!

• 03-04-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

bluefish:
    He said "mom" the other night.  He's tall and thin, and very handsome. Big Smile

Awwww!!!  That melts my heart.

RobsGirl, 31

• 03-04-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I don't do facebook either, but I noticed Chamutal Isaacs, an old MT friend of mine whose contact info I've lost, is on Facebook.  Would anyone be willing to go out on a limb and contact her?  She's in the UK and has three sweet little children, and she's a doula.

RobsGirl, 31

• 03-05-2009 7:04 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Thanks, Dawn.

RobsGirl, 31

Page 4 of 7 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.