in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Oh, I'm been saving a story for this website!!

Last post 02-22-2009 6:29 PM by Meg the midwife. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-29-2009 12:53 AM

Oh, I'm been saving a story for this website!!

I had a cord prolapse a few months ago, in the pool. Stuff to make a midwife turn grey.  i'd stepped out of the room to have a short breather, mum was happily doing her own thing.  When I came back in She calmly remarked that it was coming out. 'what is, the baby?', 'no, the cord'.  Are you sure? She stood and there was a good foot of cord looping down.  My first thought was get her out of the pool, onto all fours, get help.  Called for assistance (at a primary birthing unit, so lots of good hands close by), got her out of the pool, into a playful puppy type pose, lifted the baby off the cord.  Luckily this was her third baby and she was able to promptly push baby out.  Baby girl was a little stunned, but quickly pinked up with a bit of gentle stimulation.  Looking back, perhaps I should have left her in the pool, as the cord was fat, wet and warm, and quickly became thin and white when she hopped out of the pool.  Glad I didn't do an internal exam on mum earlier, glad mum could push so very well, glad baby came out so easily.  Still, not an experience I am rushing to repeat!!

• 01-29-2009 9:56 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

Re: Oh, I'm been saving a story for this website!!

I got a few gray hairs just reading it! Good thing mom was relaxed instead if panicky, & most wonderful of all, baby is healthy!

Good job!Wink

• 01-29-2009 11:31 PM In reply to

Ok, how do I get a photo in my profile instead of the anonymous outline?

• 01-29-2009 11:55 PM In reply to

Embarrassed Sorted...

• 02-05-2009 5:27 AM In reply to

wow! what an experience! and what a blessing it turned out okay.

of course hindsight is 20/20, but I'd say getting her out of the pool and onto all fours was the best course - you need to asses the situation, and not too many mamas I know could get into h&k while in a pool - at least, not without a snorkel ;)

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 02-05-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

Oh, yeah, i know i forgot something!!  next time I'll take my scuba gear!!Big Smile  You are quite right.  i did need to assess the situation, she may not have been fully and it may have been a totally different outcome.  You have provided a sensible view on the matter.  many thanks!!

• 02-07-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

Wow that's a great story! 

~ Lamaze CBE ~ CNM student ~
  • 02-12-2009 10:16 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

That gave me some grays reading  it.  Good job Meg!  How's New Zealand these days?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 02-13-2009 12:25 AM In reply to

hot!!  nothing compared to what you're used to no doubt, but we've just had our hottest day in 135 years, wait for it, 34 degrees!!  Well it's hot for us!!  I'm back from my baby break , but have decided to take a salary position, accounting and i are not on good terms!!  Best of both worlds, work as an independnt (self employed) midwife but get a regular income.  WOW!!  Also we are inding more and more midwives are burning out under teh LMC model.  We are great at looking after everyone else, except ourselves.  So a few of us have set up small teams to try and provide a balance between contiunity of care and our home commitments.  Wefinding the women are quite open to it.  4 of us on a 4 week roster, 2 weeks on call, 2 weeks off call.  Case load of 55 women each per year.  Turing them away hand over fist.  Only trouble is we are based in a rather affluent area where multips are a rarity!!  we working on that...

• 02-22-2009 1:40 PM In reply to

Hi Meg.  What is the LMC model?  Thanks!

• 02-22-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

It's the way in which maternity care is provided in New Zealand.  Every woman chooses a midwife, general practitioner or OB to provide thier care for the whole of their pregnancy and postnatal period.  Something like 85% of women have midwives as thier LMC (lead maternity carer) and this is a totally free to the woman service.  There are a few family docs who still do labour and birth and there are Ob.s as well, who charge around $3500, which is probably about $10 US!! 

Here's a link to more info.  http://www.midwife.org.nz/index.cfm/1,109,541,0,html/The-maternity-service-an-integrated-model Gotta run, just had a antenatal mum rock up!!

• 02-22-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

oh my gosh.. great story outcome.. as soon as i read prolapse i automatically sat up closer to the computer.. when i read the positive outcome i realized i didnt need to clentch any longer.. lol..

a foot of cord u say? my gosh,.. u musta went pale in the face seeing that!

A womans heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek him in order to find her.
    ~Unknown
  • 02-22-2009 6:29 PM In reply to

Pale and nearly wet myself i think..!!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.