in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Seriously thinking about going to Maternidad La Luz.

Last post 01-05-2011 11:33 AM by ms_simplysandy. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2011 11:33 AM

Seriously thinking about going to Maternidad La Luz.

I've wanted to study midwifery for so many years. I am 38 years old and I have 4 boys ages 16,12,9 and 7.  Educating and helping women to give birth the way nature intended is so fulfilling and important.

Four years ago I left N.Carolina to start an apprenticeship in Pa., but three months into it I realized that I would not be able to continue. My children were too young and I just did not have the support I needed to continue. Pa. is a beautiful place and I loved living there. Since that time, I moved back to N.C. and completed a degree in Photography, which is also something that I'm am very passionate about.  Over the past few years I've struggled to find a way to make a living while doing something I really love. No matter what I come up with, it never compares to the dream I have of being a midwife. Last June I started looking into the School of Traditional Midwifery in Gainesville, Fl. After visiting the area, I decided that it was not where I wanted to spend the three years that it would take to complete the program.

Recently I've started looking into one of my original choices- Maternidad la luz in El Paso, Texas. It was at the top of my list years ago, but I did not see it as a do-able options in my situation at the time. Now, I can't seem to get it out of my head. I like the idea of being totally immersed in the day to day life of Midwifery. I am already fluent in Spanish, so that is to my advantage. My children are a little older and I have the support of my boyfiend that I need to be able to move my family to Texas. I am a spontaneous person and adjust well to change, but I feel like I need to get more information about the area, housing, and possible construction/carpentry work for my boyfriend. 

I would really like to hear from anyone who knows the area, where I can find good affordable housing, and where are the best areas. If anyone is currently studying at MLL or has completed the program, I'd love to hear about your experience.  Has anyone completed the program while raising a family?  Is it safe to live in El paso right now?  Which program would you recommend for me?

Thank you,

Sandra

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.