in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Pay for birth assistant?

Last post 01-10-2011 11:50 PM by jkennedyNP. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2010 10:56 PM

Pay for birth assistant?

Hello ladies,

I will be graduating with my RN in August, and have been asked to assist a CNM with her homebirth practice!!  I'm so excited for this amazing opportunity.  I'm wondering if anyone knows how much birth assistants are typically paid?  I have absolutely no concept, and would like to have some sort of idea before having the discussion with the midwife.  She charges $4200 per birth.  Thanks for your help!

• 01-10-2011 11:50 PM In reply to

Re: Pay for birth assistant?

Hi Birthlove,

That sounds pretty neat and like a really rare opportunity. In Colorado there is a birth center here that has an on call RN that attends the births. It is similar to a home environment. You would have to ask her if you would be paid hourly, if there is on call pay, as you are graduating what your initial pay would be compared to what you would make after you have some experience. Here on call is usually just a about $3-4 an hour. Find out how many births she does a month to project how often you would be need and what you would make when called in. Would you like to do this full time or part time? Generally a Doula would make about $500 a birth to compare.

Jared

Jared Kennedy
    CNM/FNP (student)
    University of Colorado
    C-EFM, RN-C Inpatient Obstetrics
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.