in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Midwife in Guatemala?!

Last post 06-06-2011 10:27 AM by midwifea. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2010 10:33 AM

• sarita
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2010
    • Posts 1

Midwife in Guatemala?!

I am searching for an alternative birth experience for a friend of mine in Guatemala.  She is due in June and does not want to be in a hospital.  We have had difficulty finding a midwife or birthcenter--those we have found are volunteer opportunities to train traditional Mayan midwives but not to actually contact anyone about midwifery services.  

Does anyone know of a practicing midwife in Guatemala?  Otherwise, how should we proceed looking for an OBGYN.  Suggestions?  Thanks for all your help!

Sarah 

• 12-30-2010 5:27 AM In reply to

• kimyan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-30-2010
    • France
    • Posts 3

Re: Midwife in Guatemala?!

Hello Sarah,

I just signed in and read your email and I am very surprised that you have not found anyone...Trained as a CPM at the US mexican border, I have heard of so many midwives wanting to go and live in central or south america....I just assumed(..) there was a healthy network of midwives of all nations in Mexico and Guatemala...I know of a birth center in the Chiapas, called Luna Maya, but your friend is probably not interested in travelling so far...

Just as I am starting to look at other options in terms of practicing...I am french/american based in France and the road to get my CPM training validated in France seems endless. I am considering volunteering abroad to keep practicing and being with women THAT way...Did I read you correctly: there are volunteer opportunities to work with traditional Mayan midwives?

If I would find a place to volunteer for in Guatemala, I'd come and visit you and your friend.

Blessings and good luck, Sarah

• 02-16-2011 5:07 PM In reply to

• Hannahf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2009
    • Guatemala
    • Posts 4

Hi Sarah -

I run a waterbirth center in Guatemala City - look at centrodepartonatural.org!!

Greetings,

Hannah

• 06-04-2011 8:39 PM In reply to

• Chrisi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-05-2011
    • Posts 1

I just gave birth with a wonderful midwife in Guatemala City. She runs Centro De Parto Natural and really knows what she's doing. I had a 31 hour labor and still got the natural birth I always wanted thanks to prayer and our midwife Hannah! Check out my birth story at http://tinyurl.com/3cn38k9

• 06-06-2011 10:27 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 476

Lovely birth story Chrisi,

It shows that a little patience, support and perseverance will sometimes beat the odds in childbirth cultures.  Good for you and your babe for staying strong and working together.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein