in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Routine "emergencies" ?

Last post 11-21-2010 4:22 PM by worstfriend. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2010 7:01 AM In reply to

Re: Routine "emergencies" ?

"Plain" usually refers to those women who's religion and the culture that surrounds that eschews many "modern" things--dress, mobility, cell phones, etc. Think: Amish, some Quakers, Mennonites.  Is that what you were asking?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 11-19-2010 8:32 AM In reply to

Yes, thanks brlnbabies!  So would those women pass to their daughters a "how to" which involved "when it's time to push you lay down"?  And being a traditional sort of culture would women be more likely to "adhere" to those ideas?  That's what i mean.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 11-19-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

Among my old order mennonite women childbirth is NEVER discussed, so how they give birth is never passed down.  This was what I saw in Lancaster, PA and what I see in Central NY.  I'm surprised that sisters don't even know each others' due dates, and the thought of how they give birth would RARELY arise in conversation.  When these women marry, they are not even sure about the logistics of having sex--it is never discussed.  The example I gave about a sister discussing the hands & knees position is very rare in my area. This is a very progressive family.  When a new baby arrives in a family, the younger children are told Jesus brought the baby.  Even when the children are old enough to see Mom's belly getting big, the reality is never discussed.  I have my own theory about how lying supine started.  When women gave birth by themselves they had to squat because that is the only way she could catch her own baby.  When labor attendants started helping, women could "relax" more to give birth and then layed down on their side or back after a long, exhausting labor--not considering that gravity might help the situation.  I really think relaxing the pelvic floor muscles helps more in the birth of a baby than gravity.  Lay down and relax, your body will do the rest. 

• 11-21-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

But that comes back to what i was saying about "releasing" the pelvic floor - on the toilet.  On one's back is more for sex, and i certainly don't release my pelvic floor (quite the opposite) for that.  But then equally i can't think of a less comfortable position at the end of pregnancy than side-lying (my pelvis can't handle it at all) and i don't find labour exhausting, or find it at all relaxing to have anyone sitting between my thighs "helping" either, so perhaps i'm so abnormal in my experiences i'm just unable to imagine.  The MW who attended me at dd2's birth doesn't mention position unless a problem occurs (i.e she only asks you to move if she must, and actually sat against a full-on radiator when DD came because that was behind where i had happened to put myself - luckily she only had to sit there for 6 minutes!) and hardly any of her ladies give birth on their backs.  And most of them WANT to catch their own babies (i know i did).  And FWIW i did mostly catch DD2, on all 4's moving quite naturally to kneeling when she started to emerge, and had my hands on DD1 - flat on my back but sat up automatically as she shot out and had my hands on her right away.  With DD1 the midwife also had her hands on the baby but the bed/chux "caught" her since she shot out so suddenly, and with DD2 my MW had her hands underneath mine, and helped me catch since she didn't restitute and i couldn't see her past my still-huge belly, and thus was mystified as to where her armpit was (not where i was feeling for it!).

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.