in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Midwifery vs. Obstetrics

Last post 11-10-2010 10:24 AM by marlenecpm. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-30-2010 1:06 PM

Midwifery vs. Obstetrics

Hey, I'm a college student looking to go into natal care. I'm willing to do years of schooling of training (I swear my real calling is to become a professional student), but I was wondering what the real difference between a midwife and an obstetrician is. I have a list of questions that I would really like answered to help me decide on which path I want to go down.

1.) Many sites have given me different answers but how much training is put into becoming a midwife?

2.) Do midwives only work in large cities?

3.) What is the average salary of a midwife?

4.) I know that if you are a nurse it can take many years of experience to finally be able to work your way up to the neonatal floor of the hospital but if you become a midwife do you automatically start working with expectant mothers?

5.) Does a midwife really have power within the birthing room or is a midwife just the assistant to the OB?

Thank you for reading and answering my questions!!!

Filed under: ,
  • 09-30-2010 2:35 PM In reply to

Re: Midwifery vs. Obstetrics

1.) Many sites have given me different answers but how much training is put into becoming a midwife? Depends on what path you on go on.

2.) Do midwives only work in large cities?  Nope, but work all the place

3.) What is the average salary of a midwife?  Unsure

4.) I know that if you are a nurse it can take many years of experience to finally be able to work your way up to the neonatal floor of the hospital but if you become a midwife do you automatically start working with expectant mothers?  Unsure

5.) Does a midwife really have power within the birthing room or is a midwife just the assistant to the OB?  Yup, they have the power in the birthing room.

• 10-01-2010 4:24 AM In reply to

You may want to go over to the main site and read up on midwifery.  You can also go to the American College of Nurse Midwives site and you can go to the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) to read up on types of midwives, training, etc.  You should be able to get answers there.

Midwives are NOT obstetricians.  Obstetricians are surgeons.

As far as who has "power in the birthing room":  The birthing mother has the power ... except there are some--including birthing women--who don't think she does or should.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 11-10-2010 10:24 AM In reply to

1) Nurse Midwifery demands a BS in nursing & a MS in midwifery, w talk of demanding even more training in the near future. Direct Entry Midwifery usually takes about 3 yrs training, some times a lot more depending on how much time, money & energy you have to devote to your training.

2) No, midwives are needed all over. CNM's  however, do work mostly in larger cities, as rural settings are not conducive to having the volume of births it takes to have both an MD & CNM in practice together.

3) Salary????!!!! Ha, ha, ha, you must be kidding! Midwifery is a ministry, not a job! Except in the big cities, as stated above.

4) not sure about the CNM's, it probably has much to do with how much their services are needed, and how enthusiastic their collaborative doc/employer is about having them join the team. But as DEM or CPM, yes, we go directly to working primarily with expectant moms.

5) Any midwife, in a delivery room, only has as much "power" as her collaborative OB let's her. Some practice almost independently, others are closely scrutinized & tightly harnessed. Only DEM's are free to do whatever they see best at the moment, even then, they need informed consent of the couple, so are still not totally free. 

6)  Midwifery Model of Care vs Medical Model of Care - two polar opposites! Medical model assumes pregnancy is a malady one must be cured of. The midwifery model assumes pregnancy is a normal, healthy state of being.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.