in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

wierd pph

Last post 12-16-2010 8:51 AM by marlenecpm. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2010 7:51 AM

wierd pph

I attended a waterbirth a few days ago, as I have many times in the past. Mom had a pph. After We had her out of the tub & stabilized, I went back to the tub to try to estimate blood loss. Usually most of the blood sinks to the bottom & forms clots, but this time the water in the tub was bright red, with what looked like pale filiments running all through it; kinda like underwater cobwebs!?!?! When I tried to pick it up out of the water, it just slid through my fingers. Using the debris net (aka, pooper scooper) we scooped up a netfull, of pale pink gelatinous stuff. There was also a few small normal clots on bottom of pool.

I've never seen anything like that before. Anybody know what was going on? (BTW, her hgb was 14, baby born in the caul, but mod. mec in amniotic fluid)

• 09-16-2010 1:43 PM In reply to

Re: wierd pph

OOOOOH!  Wasn't there something posted about this a while back??  I remember "gelatinous".  Oh gosh.  I wish I could remember the post.  Anybody else?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 09-17-2010 1:04 AM In reply to

How long from the birth until detachment bleed / placenta?  I am guessing not long?  That would attest to the lack of clots and bright blood which had not had time to clot.  What did you estimate for loss?  Was she symptomatic?

It sounds to me like a phase of the continuum of the clotting process, fibrinogen and all that.  Her Hb was 14 at the time of birth?  Sounds like a contracted blood volume and that she needed to lose a bit more than average to balance out post-birth, if that makes sense.

• 09-17-2010 7:07 AM In reply to

It was a good 10-15 minutes after the birth to the separation gush, then another 5 or so till delivery of placenta. yes, symptomatic... tachycardia, dizziness. Got her out of tub & she crawled to the bed, as she was too weak & dizzy to stand, let alone walk. We were in the bedroom a good 30 minutes or so before I went back to check the EBL in the tub. That was plenty of time for it to clot!

I can't follow your reasoning. If blood volume contracted, sounds like she had less to loose than average, not more? no HTN, no edema, great diet...? We figure EBL was about 5 cups, I've seen worse, this was just strange. I figure big baby, big placenta, large placental site, greater than average EBL, but those wierd "cobwebs" in the tub?!?

• 09-17-2010 9:55 AM In reply to

Contracted blood volume from inadequate hemodilution = high Hb and a tendency by the body to get rid of such viscous blood.

You've got me on the cobwebs;)  

• 09-24-2010 2:58 AM In reply to

I cannot tell you what the cobwebs ARE, but i can tell you i had them in the bath after my 2nd miscarried which i had in the bath (for the pain) in 2003.  I assumed they were something to do with it being pregnancy rather than just a period (i have bled in a tub before).  For me the bath was a shimmering dark pink (not quite bright red, i bled alot but it wasn't a PPH) with like shimmering membranes which vanished when i touched them.  A friend suggested tiny air bubbles forming on the clotty fluid (like when you graze yourself the clear fluid that oozes up and clots to form the scab, i can't remember what it's called!) caused the effect.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 09-24-2010 10:37 PM In reply to

sounds like a "sick womb"

like a lot of lochia loaded with pus, mucus, wbc's... maybe she'd been fighting an unknown infection prior to birth

• 11-18-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

Okay, I just found the answer to my own question! :)

It was the congealed protein in the amniotic fluid, had nothing to do w the amount of blood. Now we all know! :) so the more of that stuff is floating around, the more amniotic fluid was released in the tub. Good to know.

• 11-18-2010 11:39 AM In reply to

Ohhhhh!  Thanks, Marlene!  I saw this at the last homebirth I was at and thought, "Well, there's that 'stuff' again!" I'd forgotten to ask the fabulous midwife that was there as she and daddy needed to be dealing with some extra exuberant bleeding at the time I noticed it and I was holding that gorgeous baby.  Lord knows, when you hold a baby all your earthly thoughts go right out the window. Wink

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 11-19-2010 3:22 AM In reply to

I saw it in the sink the other day!  In a pan i'd scrambled eggs in and then filled with water but not washed (i am NOT the flylady!).  Freaked me RIGHT OUT when i first noticed it.  WHO's been birthing in MY sink...?  That naughty goldilocks....

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 12-02-2010 10:35 AM In reply to

Oh Bec, that cracked me up! "naughty Golilocks!"  that's just more proof... eggs are a good source of protein! thus "cobwebs" in your pot. :)

Marlene

• 12-15-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

was wierd pph, now what is waterbirth

Tamid, waterbirth means a woman gives birth in water.  French Doctor, Michel Odent popularized waterbirths in deep tubs at Pithevier, France. Russians have been giving birth in the Black Sea, when the weather allows, and in tubs when it is not. Belguim has also had many births in these birth tubs. The idea of waterbirth spread over Europe sooner & quicker than in the US, but some American women also birth in a deep tub. Many homebirth midwives now carry pools with their equipment.

The idea is that having your whole abdomen submersed underwater, changes the pressure, making the contractions seem less severe. Waterbirths have been nicknamed  "aquadurals", since it is almost as effective as an epidural, with none of the harmful side effects.  Being in warm water helps one relax, even if it doesn't cover the abdomen, so showers & regular tubs help some, but being in a deeper tub, like a jacuzzi, trough or an inflatable kiddie pool helps even more.

• 12-16-2010 8:28 AM In reply to

Re: was wierd pph, now what is waterbirth

Marlene, I deleted the post you replied to because it was posted by a spammer. You can tell by the link at the bottom of the post.  Unfortunately, the spammers are getting very creative and posting what looks like legit posts. Super Angry  I got to it as soon as I could.

Susan

• 12-16-2010 8:51 AM In reply to

Re: was wierd pph, now what is waterbirth

Thanks susan. I did think it was wierd that someone had never heard of a waterbirth, but looked like it was from some non-english speaking country, so I thought could be legit.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.