in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Approaching midwives for possible internship/shadowing

Last post 07-07-2010 1:21 PM by rojaza. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2010 8:26 PM

Approaching midwives for possible internship/shadowing

I am an aspiring midwife about to start my second year of college. I am planning to complete my Bachelor's (in an unrelated field), and then do a three year combined B.S.N./M.S.N. program to become a C.N.M. I know most C.N.M.s work in hospital settings, but I am also very interested in the birth center/homebirth side of midwifery. I also think that my beliefs regarding pregnancy/birth are a bit more in tune with the attitudes/practices of most C.P.M.s, and would really love it if my foundations in midwifery could be based on a physiologic rather than medical approach to birth.

That said, I would really love to gain some insight into midwifery, whether it be shadowing a midwife, volunteering, or doing some sort of internship, and I am hoping that someone can give me advice as to the best way to go about this. There is a birth center/homebirth practice in my area run by two midwives, (a C.P.M. and an L.M.), and I would love to have any opportunity to learn from them, even if it is just coming in and volunteering to file paperwork. What I am wondering is whether any of you readers think that these midwives would even be open to the idea, and if so, what would be the best way to approach them? I have thought that the best way would be to send a formal letter expressing my interest in midwifery and ask whether there was any way I could learn from them. I am hoping that there are some midwives or midwifery students who can advise me as to the best way to approach this idea, or maybe give me examples of similar experiences they might have had.

Thank you so much!

• 07-07-2010 1:21 PM In reply to

Re: Approaching midwives for possible internship/shadowing

Why are you planning on becoming a CNM if your beliefs are more aligned with those of a CPM?

As for approaching midwives, I would send a letter clearly stating what your desires are and what you are willing to offer (as you outlined above), mention that you will be following up with a phone call in the next week and don't forget to make the phone call ;)  Personally I like to have a bit of notice and info from people wishing to work together so I can mull it over and give it some thought, but that is just me. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.