in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Suggestions for volunteer opportunities?

Last post 07-06-2010 9:04 AM by midwifea. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-04-2010 11:12 AM

Suggestions for volunteer opportunities?

Hello!

I am hoping some folks may have some insight on a question I have. I am will be entering an accelerated nurse-midwifery program next year, and I would like to get some experience outside of a hospital environment. I have been trained as a birth and postpartum doula and have attended several births in hospitals. I also completed Elizabeth Davis' Heart & Hands Midwifery Intensives, learning basic skills like taking blood pressure, pulse and fundal height assessments, fetal heart tones, pelvic and cervical examination, and suturing. 

Right now, most of my energy is going into getting my pre-requisites completed in a good way, so a traditional apprenticeship doesn't make sense. I am interested in any work that I could do as an intensive experience in late summer, between school quarters for a month. I have considered going to Maternidad La Luz, but I think I need to up my Spanish skills before that would be an appropriate choice. I am flexible and open to a wide variety of experiences. Any suggestions? I am based in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Olympic Peninsula) but can travel. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Sincerely,

Kelly

• 07-06-2010 9:04 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Suggestions for volunteer opportunities?

Kelly,

The far range options would look like Haiti, Africa, India, Bali, etc, they would love a month of service, from anyone of skill,  but how about contacting a birth center or some homebirth midwives near you and offering a month's service for experience?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein