in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Newbie alert! (me, haha)

Last post 07-10-2010 5:45 PM by MamaLindz. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2010 8:37 PM

Newbie alert! (me, haha)

Hi y'all!

I'm Lindsey and I'm somewhere in between a mom/aspiring midwife/childbirth educator/apprentice.  I have been soaking up all the great information here and wanted to say hi and thank you in advance for any answers to my silly questions anyone here might have time to give. 

First question: Which textbook do *you* like and why?  I already have some of the "basics"... Spiritual Midwifery, Heart and Hands, etc... but I want a big, meaty textbook to sink my baby midwife teeth into.  :)

Second question:  I need some feedback on the Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery.  It's looking like my first choice, largely because of the autonomy and financial aspects.  Anyone used it?

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to diving in completely to this thing called midwifery!

Lindz

***Lindsey***
  • 06-03-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

• Bexx08
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2010
    • Posts 3

Re: Newbie alert! (me, haha)

Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent is on my required book list for the fall. I laughed out loud in a few places, and literally cried. I think it's the first book that I've ever had both reactions to.

a lot of smaller facts, but it gives you a bit more modern idea of what midwifery is like in practice.

Bexx R.
    Aspiring Midwife & Soon-to-be Midwifery student!
  • 06-03-2010 6:06 AM In reply to

Well, Baby Catcher is not exactly a textbook nor is it very meaty.  It's a nice read and give insight into one midwife's life and times.

Have you checked with the Midwifery Today store?  It's only a click away by hitting the Shop button above!

I don't think you can get bigger or meatier than Varney's.  It's quite meaty in price, too.  Sometimes you can find it inexpensively on different midwifery and cbe lists.  You might also want to go to your local tech school which has a nursing program in it and see what's in the bookstore, write down the titles and then hit up Amazon or even Powells.  You can find some great deals on the meatier books online. 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-03-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

Just my 2 cents, but I loved Anne Fryes Holistic Midwifery (1&2)

Happy reading!!

BB Rhie

• 06-04-2010 12:32 PM In reply to

Lindz,

Welcome to MT and MTF.  Its pleasure to meet you and hope to stay you around.

Have no clue and really have not that much info on your questions.  Have seen this topic in threads on here and off of here in the past, but at the same time have forgotten what were my responses to them.

Highly recommend that you check out MT and MTF as well.  At the same time I recommend that you check out Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and their companion website/blog as well.  Found its really helpful no matter what. Do recommend that you do additional learning and research besides the books and website I give you to give you. For more info on this.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck with this.

• 06-06-2010 7:49 AM In reply to

Hey there. I second Holistic Midwifery  (1,2 and Diagnostic Tests) by Ann Fry very meaty and very informative.

I also was looking into the Michigan School of Midwifery but then I decided to go with WomanCraft. Alot of it had to do with the customer service that I recieved from WomanCraft and the lack of it from Michigan School.

Good luck.

Vanessa

• 06-06-2010 8:57 AM In reply to

THANK YOU everyone!  I appreciate all your feedback.  I am looking into the Anne Frye books and still mulling about school options.  I hadn't heard of WomanCraft, so thank you for that information.  Always good to know even more of what's out there!

I'm so excited about this summer.  The 2 midwives I'm apprecticing with have 5 births "scheduled" for July, so I'm jumping in at a great time I think.  :)

***Lindsey***
  • 06-06-2010 11:50 AM In reply to

Lindz,

Your welcome and etc.

• 07-07-2010 8:38 PM In reply to

Hi I am new also! do you have any certification if so where did you go to get it, if not how is it possible that you can apprentice with a midwife without certification. appenticing sounds wonderful ,however i dont have any certification i will be starting school in a week and it will take about three years to become certified. I would love to apprentice with a midwife during that time.. how can i get started with that?

• 07-10-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

Hi Shivan and welcome!

I "found" my apprenticeship through my own midwife, "J".  She is currently finishing the certification process with HER midwife "M" (did that make sense? haha) and as such, "M" will be losing "J" as an assistant soon.  Therefore "M" has an opening for an apprentice and has extended that opening to me.  I am apprenticing in that I attend some births and try to be as helpful as possible, and therefore am learning things along the way whilst doing my correspondence bookwork with the Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery.  Once I have attended 10+ births, the midwife will let me start doing more things, like taking fetal heart tones and such.  Currently what I do at a birth is jot down notes, call out time of birth, etc, be the "go 'fer" when the mom needs water/cold rag/etc.  I have acted more as a doula in a couple of instances when the mom was needing a lot of labor support, but for the most part, I just stay out of the way and observe. 

But that doesn't really answer your question, does it???  Smile  The answer is that because I am in a state that does not license home birth midwives, I can train as an apprentice while doing traditional schooling on the side, because all my future clients will hire me with the knowledge that I have trained in that manner.  I will be working toward the CPM title through NARM, but through the Portfolio Evaluation Process which assumes you will learn directly from another midwife for the majority of your training. 

Regardless of whether you are going for your CPM/CM to be a home birth midwife or your CNM to be a licensed midwife in a birth center, you could try to find a local midwife who will let you tag along as an apprentice type student, which would greatly supplement your formal training either way.  You could also do some doula training which would give you more opportunities to attend births. 

Best wishes with your schooling!

***Lindsey***
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.