in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

question - clinical pregnancy

Last post 05-29-2010 10:33 AM by marlenecpm. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-14-2010 4:25 PM

question - clinical pregnancy

Dear Midwives,

I am about to talk with a mother who has been told she has a clinical pregnancy that the doctor does not think will hold. Mother had an early miscarraige a few months ago.  She is confused and does not understand what the doctor is telling her.  Can one of you wise women please explain to me what a clinical pregnancy is?  I would like to know before I talk with her and I am not finding helpful information online. Thank you so much.

Yours,

Desiree

Desiree OClair
    Handmaiden Birth Services
    Woodstock, New York
  • 05-14-2010 5:42 PM In reply to

Re: question - clinical pregnancy

Des, I've never heard of this term before. ?? 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-14-2010 5:48 PM In reply to

Perhaps Dr. Henry will chime in.

Desiree OClair
    Handmaiden Birth Services
    Woodstock, New York
  • 05-14-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

Perhaps she has a blighted ovum pregnancy...basically there is a yolk sac but no embryo/blastocyst.  For this reason they are not viable pregnancies and usually miscarry on thier own, however, sometimes medical intervention is required...

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater
    http://www.midwifeyearone.blogspot.com
  • 05-14-2010 7:39 PM In reply to

Des, have you seen this? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_clinical_pregnancy  It sounds like "clinical pregnancy" means she's pregnant but the doc believes she will have yet another miscarriage ... for whatever reason he has to believe that, based on ?? I see that there is a diff between a "chemical pregnancy" and a "clinical pregnancy."  One would think the doc would give this client the information needed so that she can understand what in the world he actually wants to tell her. Learning something new as we dig for answers here.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-29-2010 10:33 AM In reply to

I'm not sure either. Just guessing here, but thinking a chemical pregnancy could mean the way birth control pills trick your body into thinking its pregnant, and clinical pregnancy could mean you are actually pregnant. i do know that if you get pregnant to soon after a mc, you are more likely to mc again, because your uterus has not had time to heal up sufficiently. Or it could mean something like your are technically pregnant, (meaning egg & sperm met) but not growing a baby, could be a blighted ovum, as already mentioned or a hydatidiform mole. Or? She should just call him back and ask him to explain what he meant.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.